The success of the Guardian Ad Litem Program is completely reliant upon volunteers.
The main qualification is a sincere concern for children. Other qualifications include:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact and speak with people of various educational and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to be objective and non-judgemental
The requirements for becoming a Guardian Ad Litem are as follow:
- Complete a written application.
- Submit 3 personal/professional references.
- Submit to a criminal record check.
- Be interviewed by a staff member.
- Complete a 20-hour training session, which will include at least one full day of court observation.
- Take the Administrative Office Of The Courts Guardian Ad Litem Oath, administered by a distric court judge.