This year’s theme for National County Government Month is “Serving Our Veterans, Armed Forces and Their Families”. Please join us as we celebrate this month. Learn more about how Brunswick County is delivering essential health care, employment, housing and justice system services, as well as providing high quality parks and recreation programs in our community.
- Care Package for our Military – Collecting donations for care packages to be sent to our Armed Forces overseas. Collections may be dropped off at the Veterans Service Office, Building “F” at the Government Center from April 1st through April 22nd. Items requested for donation: Non-perishable snacks, instant drink mixes, toiletry items, pens & mechanical pencils, puzzle books, magazines, playing cards, cotton t-shirts (green or tan), socks (black, olive green, & white), and letters from home! (For a detailed list, please see the link below)
• Care Package Detailed List
- Veterans Rural Health Event – Signing veterans up for VA health care with the VAMC Fayetteville & Wilmington VA Clinic on April 21st from 10am to 2pm. Location: Government Center, in the Cooperative Extension Conference Room, Building “N”.
- Red, White, & Blue Ribbons – Given to all of our Veteran County Employees to wear in April recognizing their military service. If you see an employee wearing a ribbon, please let them know you appreciate the sacrifices they made to service their country.
- Rabies Clinic – Saturday, April 2nd, cost $6.00
Locations & Times:
Brunswick Animal Hospital – Supply – 8am – Noon
Brunswick Forest Veterinary Hospital – Leland - 8am – Noon
Capeside Animal Hospital – Leland - 8am – 1pm
Companion Animal Hospital – Shallotte - 8am – Noon
Four Paws Animal Hospital – Southport - 8am – Noon
Leland Veterinarian Hospital – Leland - 8am – 1pm
River Road Animal Hospital – Southport - 9am – Noon
Oak Island Animal Hospital – Oak Island - 8am – Noon
Seaside Animal Hospital – Calabash - 9am – 11:00 am
Board of Elections
- Tour and Open House – Tuesday, April 5th from 1pm to 4pm.
Location: Government Center, Building “H”.
- Open House for the public to obtain information and ask questions on Thursday, April 7th from 8:30am to 5pm.
Location: Government Center, Building “J”.
Cooperative Extension Service
- Plant Sale at the Cooperative Extension Service Office Greenhouse located at the Government Center (Back Parking Lot of Building N) on Thursday, April 7th: 9am to 5 pm, Friday, April 8th: 9am to 5pm, & Saturday, April 9th: 9am to 2 pm
- Open House & Tour – Monday, April 11th from 2pm to 6pm.
See Emergency Vehicle displays, tour the EMS and 911 Dispatch Centers, see the Fire & Hurricane Safety House for children, & obtain educational materials.
- Emergency Services, National Telecommunicator’s Week (NTW) – April 10th – 16th – honoring our emergency public safety dispatchers and 911 personnel.
- Free disposal at the Landfill – Monday April 11th through Saturday, April 16, 2011.
- Household Hazardous Waste Disposal, Electronics Collection, & Clothing Collection – Saturday, April 16th from 9am until 2pm in the school bus parking lot of Shallotte Middle School.
- Assistance with the NC DOT’s Litter Sweep – April 16th through April 30th
Visit your local County Library!
- Remembering those who have served coloring contest: Open to grades K-5 from April 4th – 15th.
- Pre-School Story Time:
Mondays at Barbee at 10:00am
Thursdays at Rourk at 10:00am
Harper – 109 West Moore Street, Southport
Rourk – 5086 Main Street, Shallotte
Leland – 487 Village Road, Leland
Barbee – 8200 E. Oak Island Drive, Oak Island
Hickmans Crossroads – 1040 Calabash Road, Calabash
Parks & Recreation
- 23rd Annual Gator Senior Games & SilverArts Opening Ceremonies – April 6th
Location: Town Creek Park in Winnabow, Opening Ceremonies Start: 9:45am. Participants 55 and over participate in a number of activities including shuffleboard, basketball, horseshoes, softball throw, and much more.
- Special Olympic Spring Games – April 15th
Location: Town Creek Park in Winnabow, Opening Ceremonies Start: 11:45am. Participants with intellectual disabilities or closely related developmental disabilities participate in athletic activities including sprints, softball throws, aquatics, track and field, and much more.
Sheriff’s Office/Detention Center
- Detention Center Tours and K-9 Demonstration – Tuesday, April 12th at 10:00am (Government Center - Brunswick County Detention Center)
- Open House for the public to tour the new Field Operations Center, Wednesday, April 13th from 9am to Noon. Physical location: 250 Gray Water Road NE, Supply.
• National County Government Month Flyer
• Care Package Detailed List
• Brunswick County Fact Sheets