Monday, May 25, 2015   

Single Family Residence

The following is a general outline and guide to obtaining permits needed to build and occupy a single family residence. All applicable permits may be applied for at the Central Permitting Office. Central Permitting is located in the Planning Building on 20 Referendum Drive at the Brunswick County Government Center.

Building Permit


Fees are based on a combination of heated space, unheated space, and uncovered space. Permits are issued only to N. C. State Licensed General Contractors or Home Owners (if doing their own work).

Information Needed:

· Home owner’s name, address, telephone number

· Location of the property (Subdivision, Lot, Block)

· Property Address(obtain information at our GIS Department)

· Good directions to the property

· Tax parcel number ( can be found on deed or tax bill)

· Contractor’s name, address, phone number & NC State License Number

· Workman’s Comp./Certification

· Property Development Permit (Zoning)

· CAMA permit (if applicable)

· FEMA(Flood Certification, Elevation Certificate) if applicable

· Two copies of building plans

· Septic permit

Water Certification

Storm Water Cert. Form

Electrical Permit


Electrical permits are issued only to NC State Licensed Contractors. Home owners may obtain the permit if they do not intend to sell or rent the house. Permit fees are $40.00 per visit:

Temporary Service $40.00

Rough-In $40.00

Final $40.00

Information Needed:

Building Permit Number and Amperage Load

Plumbing Permit

Plumbing permits are issued only to NC State Licensed Plumbing Contractors or home owners, if the owner is doing the work.


Basic fee $15.00

Tap fee $ 8.00

Per Tap $ 8.00

Per Water Htr $ 8.00

Information Needed:

Building Permit Number

Number of Traps/Fixtures

Mechanical Permit

Mechanical permits are issued only to N. C. State Licensed Contractors and home owners if doing the work.

Fees: $ 40.00 per inspection

Information Needed:

Building Permit Number

Replacements (tax parcel number or physical address)

Tons/BTU of units being installed


In order to obtain final electrical power of a certificate of compliance occupancy on a completed residence, there must be a completion of each phase of construction from the Building and Electrical Inspector and a certificate of completion on the septic system.