Friday, May 22, 2015   

Technical Assistance

Technical Assistance includes, but is not limited to, the following issues: drainage, erosion, soils information, and water quality issues. Specific programs are noted below.

  • Agricultural Technical Assistance: Assistance is available for design and layout of Best Management Practices (BMPs) on agricultural lands. Some practices are applicable for cost-share financial assistance.
  • Wildlife Habitat Management: Site evaluations are conducted, and recommendations might include, but not be limited to, development of vegetation, area uses. In some instances, financial assistance may be applicable.
  • Pasture & Hayland Establishment And Management: Recommendations are offered for crop selection. Crop selection is based upon soil types, drainage, climate, and intended use of crop.
  • Drainage: Recommendations are offered for agricultural lands as well as individual home sites.
  • Pork Producer Technical Assistance: Assistance is availabe to help pork producers continue to meet the Requirements of 0200 Laws established by DENR, Division of Water Quality, including:
    • Assistance for revisions to waste utilization plans, when applicable.
    • Engineering assistance for evaluations and designs of animal waste irrigation systems required by 0200 regulations.
  • U.S.D.A. Farm Bill Compliance: Complaince assistance is available to agricultural producers with highly erodible land (HEL) and wetland (Swampbuster) provision of the 1985 Food Security Act as amended by the Food, Agriculture, Conservation and Trade Act of 1990 (16 U.S.C. 3801 et.seq.) and the Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act of 1996 and wetlands requirements of Section 404 of the Clean Water Act (e.g., wetlands delineation). Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) makes HEL and wetland determinations, and helps land users develop and implement conservation plans to comply with the law.
  • General Conservation Planning: Technical assistance is also available for general conservation planning for agricultural lands with resource concerns. Financial assistance may be applicable for best management practices meeting Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) specifications.
How To Obtain

There is no charge for technical assistance. Call or email the Brunswick County office to schedule an appointment for an in-office meeting with the District Conservationist or a Technician. Landowners are informed about eligibility of programs that are applicable to their specific needs through this evaluation process. During the meeting, a site evaluation will be scheduled, if necessary.

10 Referendum Drive
Bolivia, NC 28422
910-253-2830 (phone)