Friday, May 22, 2015   

Personal Property Tax

Personal property includes such items as mobile homes, untagged motor vehicles, boats, motors, farm equipment, aircraft, business machinery and equipment, or property rented to others as part of business. The tax rate for personal property is the same as the tax rate for real property.

Who Must List and Pay

Personal property such as mobile homes, untagged motor vehicles, boats, motors, farm equipment, aircraft, business machinery and equipment, or property rented to others as part of business, must be listed with the Personal Property Division every year during the listing period of January 1st to January 31st. A 10% late penalty will be applied to any personal property listed after January 31st. Listing abstracts will be sent to all taxpayers who listed these types of property for the prior tax year. If you do not receive an abstract and have acquired personal property that must be listed, it is your responsibility to contact the tax office.

You do not need to list registered motor vehicles.  Bills for personal property ( excluding registered motor vehicles ) are mailed in August and, like real property tax, tax is due September 1st and late on January 6th.

2015 Personal Property Listing Form
2015 Watercraft Property Listing Form
2015 Tax Relief Form

Registered Motor Vehicles - Tag & Tax FAQ
  • Q. How will my registration renewal form change?
    • The new form combines information about your vehicle registration renewal fee and your vehicle property taxes. The new Tag & Tax System allows you to make one payment for both registration renewal and vehicle property tax.
  • Q. Will my vehicle registration renewal fee remain the same?
    • Yes. The cost of your annual vehicle registration renewal will remain the same. The notice will increase to reflect your vehicle property tax amount.
  • Q. When is my vehicle tax due?
    • Your vehicle tax will be due at the same time you renew your registration. North Carolina law now requires that your vehicle property tax be paid in order to renew the vehicle registration. The due date will be printed on the new combined notice that you receive in the mail.
  • Q. Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not pay my property tax?
    • No. You cannot renew your vehicle’s registration, whether it is leased or owned, unless the total taxes and registration fees on the vehicle are paid in full.
  • Q. Am I paying vehicle property taxes for the coming year or for the preceding year?
    • Taxes due on the notice are for the coming year and cover the same period as the vehicle registration.
  • Q. What if I lease my vehicle? Do I need to pay my property taxes to the leasing company?
    • No. Vehicle property taxes on leased motor vehicles must be paid in full at the time of renewal. A copy of the combined tag and tax notice will now be sent to the vehicle lessee rather than the leasing company.
  • Q. Is interest charged on late payments?
    • Yes. State law requires that interest be charged on late vehicle property tax payments and on late registration renewals.
  • Q. How will I know the amount of vehicle property tax that I owe?
    • Your property tax amount will be included on the new combined notice along with your county and municipal tax rates.
  • Q. How can I obtain a statement of the property taxes I paid?
    • Vehicle property taxes paid to the NC DMV at the time of registration are not available on the county’s web site. To obtain a statement of the property taxes paid for your vehicle, call the NC DMV at 919-814-1779 or email your request to their service center.
  • Q. Will I receive a tax refund if I transfer my license plate to another vehicle during the year?
    • No. If you have paid your vehicle property tax for the year and then transfer the license plate to another vehicle, you will not be eligible for a refund of the taxes paid. The registered motor vehicle to which the plates are transferred will not be taxed until its current registration is renewed.
  • Q. When can I apply for a refund of vehicle property taxes paid?
    • An owner can apply for a refund of taxes paid when a motor vehicle is sold or registered out of state. The refund will be calculated on any full calendar months remaining in the registration period after the license plate is surrendered to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles. Any municipal vehicle tax assessed in accordance with NC General Statute 20-97 is not subject to proration or refund. Within one year of surrendering the license plates, the owner must present the following to the county tax office: (1) Proof of plate surrender to NCDMV (DMV Form FS20); and (2) Copy of the Bill of Sale or the new state’s registration.
  • Q. Will I have to pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?
    • Active duty non-resident military personnel may be exempt from North Carolina motor vehicle property tax. To qualify for an exemption, you must present a copy of your Leave & Earnings Statement (LES) to the county tax office. The statement should be for the month and year in which you register the vehicle and must include your Estimated Time of Separation (ETS) date and a home of record other than North Carolina. Military spouses may also qualify for exemption if their home of record is the same as the service member’s. In addition to providing a copy of the LES as described above, spouses must provide a copy of their military I.D. card and a copy of their out-of-state driver’s license, voter registration card or most current state tax return.

Taxing District

The taxing district is determined by the vehicle location provided on your renewal or registration at the date that the registration or renewal is issued. If you are billed for a city to which you do not live in, please contact that cities collector or town clerk for a release to be sent to the County.

Military Personnel

Vehicles owned by military personnel are subject to tax at their home of record. The Brunswick County Tax Administration requires a copy of your LES (leaves and Earning Statement) showing your home of record in another state to release a bill.

Veterans Disability

Veterans Disability Property Tax Relief is on Certain Vehicles:
“A motor vehicle owned by a disabled veteran, defined in 38 U.S.C. 101(2) that is altered with special equipment to accommodate a service-connected disability. “

Brunswick County requires documentation of the equipment purchase and installation or actual physical determination of the equipments installation.