Friday, May 22, 2015   

State Benefits

NC Property Tax
 A NC property tax homestead exclusion (G.S. 105-277-1C), for honorably discharged veterans who are permanent and total, service connected disabled, and their unmarried surviving spouse began on January 1, 2009.

(This pertains to those veterans receiving 100% service connected disability or who are receiving Individual Unemployability due to their service connected disabilities through the VA, and deemed permanently and totally disabled by VA.)

The exclusion is for the permanent residence owned and occupied by an owner who is a North Carolina resident and who is honorably discharged, permanent and total service connected disabled veteran or their unmarried surviving spouse.

The first $45,000 of appraised value of the residence is excluded from taxation. An owner who receives exclusion under this section may not receive other property tax relief.

To apply for this benefit, please contact our office. A certification form must be completed and sent into the Winston-Salem Regional Office. Once this certification is returned to you, you will need to contact the Brunswick County Tax Office to complete the Property Tax Relief application and submit the certification from the VA.

Lifetime NC Disabled Veteran Hunting and/or Fishing License 

Any veteran 50% service connected disabled is eligible to apply for a lifetime hunting and/or fishing license from the NC Wildlife Resource Commission (NCWRC). 
An application must be submitted to the NCWRC with a completed certification form (certification is completed by the State Service Office) and your payment.

Our office can assist you with applying for this benefit.

NC Driver's License Veteran Designation
Veterans who have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces who present their DD-214 discharge form can apply at a driver license office for the new "veteran" designation to be listed on their driver's license.

If done at time of renewal, there is no charge for this designation. However, if you apply for this prior to the time of renewal of your license, they will charge you a fee to have a new license made. 

NC DMV Veteran License Plates
Our office can assist you with applying for a license plate. The State Service office must certify the application showing you are eligible for the license plate you are applying for and then the application must be submitted to the DMV.