Brunswick County will begin accepting applications for LIEAP, the annual energy assistance program, from adults who are at least 60 years old or disabled on Dec. 1.
The LIEAP, or Low Income Energy Assistance Program, provides a one-time annual vendor payment to help eligible families offset winter heating expenses. The household’s total countable income for the base period must be equal to or less than 130 percent of the current poverty level, and the household’s total resources must be $2,250 or less.
Beginning Friday, Dec. 1, individuals who are 60 years and older or disabled and receiving services from the Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS) can apply at Social Services, in Building B at the County Complex. Applications will be accepted Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. In addition, during the month of December, Social Services staff will be taking applications at the Brunswick County Senior Centers. Locations, dates and times are below.
Beginning Tuesday, Jan. 2, anyone may apply for the funds, regardless of age or disability. At that time, applications will be taken in person at Building B Annex (back of the Social Service building), Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Applicants must provide all income for the household and its members; checking and savings account statements for all members of the household; all property, stocks, bonds and other assets for all members of the household; the name, date of birth and social security number for each member of the household; and a copy of the current heating source bill, with the applicant’s name, address and account number.
Applications will be taken until Mar. 31, or until all funds are exhausted. For additional information, please call 910-253-2422.
Senior Center Locations, Dates and Times:
- Shallotte Senior Center
- Friday, Dec. 1 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.),
- Wednesday, Dec. 13 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Supply Senior Center
- Monday, Dec. 4 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Thursday, Dec. 14 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Oak Island Center
- Tuesday, Dec. 5 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Southport Center
- Wednesday, Dec. 6 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Tuesday, Dec. 19 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Town Creek Center
- Thursday, Dec. 7 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Leland Center
- Friday, Dec. 8 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Friday, Dec. 15 (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Wednesday, Dec. 20 (9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)
- Calabash Senior Center
- Monday, Dec. 11 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)
- Ash Senior Center
- Tuesday, Dec. 12 (9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
- Boiling Spring Lakes Senior Center
- Monday, Dec. 18 (10 a.m. – 1 p.m.)