Do You Need a Building Permit?
If you are considering a home improvement project, you may need a building permit before you begin. While simple repairs don’t need permits, larger additions or major changes usually do. If you are working with a contractor, they will get the permits. If you’re going the DIY route, you’ll need to apply for and obtain them yourself.
As a homeowner, this extra hoop is actually a good thing! If means your or your contractors work will benefit from an extra set of eyes, and ensure that it meets all safety standards. Still not sure if you need a permit for your project? Here are some basic guidelines:
You will need a permit if:
- Your project will change the footprint of your home.
- Your project requires you to move a load-bearing wall.
- Your project will alter the roof tline of your home.
- Your project will create a new door or window opening.
- Your project will replace an electric stove with a natural-gas model.
- Your project will involve moving a sink.
- Your project will install new electrical wiring.
If you need a permit, make sure to fill out the application with Brunswick County Code Administration before you begin. Happy DIY-ing!