Candidate Filing Information
Candidate filing for the 2017 Municipal Election begins at noon on Friday, July 7, 2017 and ends at noon on Friday, July 21, 2017.
A list of offices up for election in 2017 and associated filing fees will be available here soon.
What should a candidate expect when filing for office?
- A Board of Elections staff member will work with each candidate to verify eligibility to file (must be a registered voter of the jurisdiction in which they wish to seek office and at least 21 years of age).
- Any campaign finance questions will be answered.
- Filing fee must be paid at the time of filing.
The law states that within ten days of any of the following events a candidate must open a political committee and appoint a treasurer:
- Receiving or spending any money in support of their candidacy,
- Filing a notice of candidacy, or
- Making a public announcement of a definite intent to run for public office in a particular election.
All reports filed with the Brunswick County Board of Elections are available for public viewing in our office.
Information for Candidates
- Opening a Political Committee
- 2016 Candidate Campaign Finance Guide
- New Candidate Forms OVER the $1,000 Threshold
- New Candidate Forms UNDER the $1,000 Threshold
- 2016 Candidates Guide
- Permitted Use of Campaign Funds
- Regulations on Political Signs
- Littering Statutes
- Distributing Pre-Marked Sample Ballots
- Additional Information
If you have questions, please call the Brunswick County Board of Elections office (910) 253-2620.