Candidate Filing Information
Candidate filing for the 2019 Municipal Election begins at noon, Friday, July 5, 2019 and ends at noon, Friday, July 19, 2019.
View a list of Elected Officials up for election in 2019 here.
A candidate list will be posted here once filing begins in July, 2019.
What should a candidate expect when filing for office?
- A Board of Elections staff member will work with each candidate to verify eligibility to file (must be a registered voter of the jurisdiction in which they wish to seek office and at least 21 years of age). For partisan primaries, one must be registered with a recognized party 90 days prior to the date of candidate filing.
- Filing paperwork will be completed and signed to be notarized (photo ID will be required for notarization).
- The filing fee must be paid in the form of a check or money order (filing fees $50 and under may be paid in cash, please try to have exact change). Business or corporate checks are not accepted.
- Candidates will be provided a filing packet containing campaign finance paperwork to open a political committee.
- To preview forms or more information on the state’s website, click here.
The law states that within ten days of any of the following events a candidate must open a political committee and appoint a treasurer:
- Receiving or spending any money in support of their candidacy,
- Filing a notice of candidacy, or
- Making a public announcement of a definite intent to run for public office in a particular election.
All reports filed with the Brunswick County Board of Elections are available for public viewing.
If you need personal assistance with your Campaign Finance reports, please schedule an appointment to ensure your needs are met in a timely manner, as well as to confirm the appropriate staff member will be available to assist you. Without an appointment, we cannot guarantee immediate service. To make an appointment please call our office or email Adrianne Rushton.
Information for Candidates
- General Information on Campaign Finance
- Campaign Finance FAQ
- 2018 Candidates Guide
- SEI Newsletter (WHO has to file? Candidates for Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, State Auditor, State Treasurer, Agriculture Commissioner, Insurance Commissioner, Labor Commissioner, Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Legislature (House of Representatives and Senate), Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, Superior Court, District Court, District Attorney and Clerk of Court.)
- Campaign Finance Manual
- New Candidate Forms OVER the $1,000 Threshold
- New Candidate Forms UNDER the $1,000 Threshold
- SBOE Sample Campaign Finance Forms
- Permitted Use of Campaign Funds
- Regulations on Political Signs
- Littering Statutes
- Distributing Pre-Marked Sample Ballots
- Additional Information
- Reporting Schedules can be found here.
If you have questions, please call the Brunswick County Board of Elections office (910) 253-2620.