When an Earthquake Strikes
- Take cover under a piece of heavy furniture or against an inside wall an hold on.
- Stay inside.
- The most dangerous thing to do during the shaking of an earthquake is to try to leave the building because objects can fall on you.
- Move into the open, away from buildings, street lights and utility wires.
- Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops.
If in a moving vehicle:
- Stop quickly and stay in the vehicle.
- Move to a clear area away from buildings, trees, overpasses or utility wires.
- Once the shaking has stopped, proceed with caution. Avoid bridges or ramps that might have been damaged by the earthquake.