Public Notice

Public Notice

Information About New Flood Maps and Flood Ordinance Changes

06.13.2018

Brunswick County is considering adopting new flood maps and amending the County’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

FEMA regularly updates Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) using studies to improve the maps and ensure their accuracy. The last maps FEMA approved for our area were adopted in 2006; since then, FEMA has worked to study and improve these maps. Now that FEMA has approved updated maps, Brunswick County can adopt them and continue to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

To view the current effective maps or the preliminary maps on the State’s website, visit the Flood Risk Information System (FRIS) – Flood Maps, which will automatically show the current effective maps. To view the preliminary maps, in the top right corner of the page, click on “Effective” and change to “Preliminary.” This will allow the viewer to see the maps being adopted on August 28, 2018.

Brunswick County will be scheduling a public hearing about these changes, and a public informational workshop will be held on July 10, 2018 at 6 p.m. in the County Commissioners Chambers, at 30 Government Center Drive in Bolivia, NC.

For more information about the proposed changes to the Flood Maps and the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, click here.

History of Brunswick County

Brunswick County History

Brunswick Crest

Brunswick Crest

On March 9, 1764, the Governor of North Carolina signed the legislative act that created Brunswick County out of New Hanover and Bladen Counties. It was named after the Town of Brunswick, which was named in honor of King George I, who was the Duke of Brunswick and Lunenberg. The County Seat was first located at Brunswick Town, a town founded by Maurice Moore, son of Governor James Moore, located on the west bank of the Cape Fear River. In 1779, the County Seat was moved to Lockwood Folly and in 1808, the County Seat was moved to Smithville, known today as Southport, where it would remain for 167 years.

Old County Seal

Old County Seal

On July 19, 1975, a referendum passed moving the County Seat from Southport to its present location just below the Town of Bolivia.

 

The current County seal, designating the four primary industries in Brunswick County, was adopted on Dec. 15, 1975 by the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners.

Current County Seal

Current County Seal

For more about Brunswick County’s history, you can read the Brunswick County Historical Society’s Souvenir Booklet, prepared for the county’s 200th anniversary in 1964, or read an online article about Brunswick County as it was published in 1956 in The State magazine (known today as Our State magazine) (or read the article as a .pdf document).

 

Looking for even more information? Copies of “The History of Brunswick County North Carolina,” written by Lawrence Lee and published in 1980, are available in all branches of the Brunswick County Public Library System.

 

News & Events

Get the latest updates and happenings on events throughout the county.

Latest News

Read More About Brunswick County News

Latest Events

See Event Calendar