It is too early to know if, or how, Hurricane Irma would impact our area, but it is a good time to develop and review your hurricane plan!
- Have on hand a five-day supply of non perishable food (and a non-electric can opener, if you include canned items) and water (one gallon per person per day). Find more emergency supply kit suggestions at http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/emergency/supplies/.
- If you leave, know your evacuation route before you get in the car, and do not wait until the last minute to go. (View evacuation routes at http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/…/Brunswick-Co-Hurricane-T….)
- Sign up for CodeRED (Brunswick County’s emergency alert system) so you can receive important emergency information by phone call, text message, email, or TDD/TTY device. (Sign up at https://public.coderedweb.com/cne/en-US/7BC24EDE14D3)
- If you have special medical needs and may require assistance during an emergency or an evacuation, you can add your information to the Medical Needs Registry at http://fs19.formsite.com/ubwatts/form165290145/index.html.
- Rip currents could be more likely in our area, even if Hurricane Irma’s path is not close to us. To learn more about rip current safety, visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0iCgB8-jDs.
Remember – regardless of where Hurricane Irma goes, now is the time to review and prepare.