Housing Quality Standards
- The foundation, stairs, rails, gutters, and porch must be sound and free from hazard.
- All entrances to a dwelling must have working locks and form a weather-tight seal.
- Windows and frames must be in good condition.
- All windows less than six feet from ground level must have locks and window screens that are in good condition.
- Any steps or porches 30” high must have handrails.
- The floors throughout the structure must be in good condition and free of torn or curled-up flooring that might present a tripping hazard.
- Each room must have working electrical outlets. At least two outlets are required for each room or one working outlet and an overhead light.
- Each room must be provided with adequate lighting.
- The heating and cooling system must be adequate to heat and cool the entire unit.
- The water heater must have a drain line coming from the pop-off safety valve and pointing towards the floor.
- Kitchen and bathroom faucets must be in good working condition.
- All bathrooms must be ventilated (exhaust fan or a window that will open).
- Any electrical hazards, such as worn cover plates or outlets, loose hanging wires, frayed wiring, loosely fitting light fixtures, or overloaded circuits, should be repaired immediately.
- All plumbing should be watertight and should drain properly.
- Any unused appliances, furniture, or debris should be removed from the premises.
- Walls, ceilings, and floors should be free of mildew fungus.
- All appliances must be in good operating condition.
- Privacy must be provided for all bathrooms and bedrooms.
- Safe and easy access to the unit must be maintained at all times.
- All units must be kept free of insect infestation and infestation by household pests.
- All units must contain one working smoke detector per level (up and down stairs).
60 GOVERNMENT CENTER DRIVE