Public Notice

Public Notice

Information About New Flood Maps and Flood Ordinance Changes


Brunswick County is considering adopting new flood maps and amending the County’s Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

FEMA regularly updates Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) using studies to improve the maps and ensure their accuracy. The last maps FEMA approved for our area were adopted in 2006; since then, FEMA has worked to study and improve these maps. Now that FEMA has approved updated maps, Brunswick County can adopt them and continue to participate in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).

To view the current effective maps or the preliminary maps on the State’s website, visit the Flood Risk Information System (FRIS) – Flood Maps, which will automatically show the current effective maps. To view the preliminary maps, in the top right corner of the page, click on “Effective” and change to “Preliminary.” This will allow the viewer to see the maps being adopted on August 28, 2018.

Brunswick County will be scheduling a public hearing about these changes, and a public informational workshop will be held on July 10, 2018 at 6 p.m. in the County Commissioners Chambers, at 30 Government Center Drive in Bolivia, NC.

For more information about the proposed changes to the Flood Maps and the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, click here.

Adult Services

Medicaid & Food and Nutrition Services

Column 1 CTA

Children’s Services

Column 2 CTA

Adult Services

Column 3 CTA

Child Support Services

Column 4 CTA

Adult Services

Brunswick County Social Services offers programs and assistance to help adults, whether in their own home or in a facility. Report a concern of abuse or neglect involving an adult.

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) are provided to disabled adults, 18 years of age or older who are alleged to be abused, neglected or exploited and in need of protection. APS Social Workers receive reports, evaluates the need for protection and provides intervention when needed. To report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of a disabled adult call 910-253-2077 or 910-253-2415. To make reports on weekends, holidays or after hours call 911 and ask to speak to the on-call social worker.

Adult Home Monitoring

The Adult Home Specialist (AHS) provides assistance, routine monitoring and complaint investigations in Assisted Living Facilities operating in Brunswick County. Complaints on Assisted Living Facilities can be made to the Adult Home Specialist at 910-253-2166 or to NC Division of Health Services Regulations at 1-800-624-3004.


Brunswick County Social Services provides guardianship services to adults who have been adjudicated incompetent and who do not have another person or corporation to serve as guardian. To learn more about guardianship services call 910-253-2462

Special Assistance In Home Program

The Special Assistance In Home (SA-IH) program for adults provides cash assistance for low income individuals who are at risk of entering a residential facility but are preferring to live at home. Social workers provide a comprehensive assessment and ongoing case management to adults eligible for this program. To learn more about SA-IH you can call 910-253-2212.

Adult Placement Services

Adult Placement services assist aging or disabled adults find substitute placement in residential care facilities when their health safety and well-being can no longer be maintained at home. Placement arrangements are made in adult care homes, nursing homes or residential health care settings. Please call 910-253-2212 for additional information about this program.

Adult Day/Health Care

Limited funds are available to help with adult day/health care expenses for qualified individuals. Adult Day/Health Care facilities provide organized programs in a community group setting to promote social, physical and emotional well being. The Adult Day/Health Care programs in Brunswick County are licensed by the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services and monitored by the Department of Social Services. For additional information call 910-253-2072.

Community Alternatives Program

The Community Alternatives Program for Disabled adults (CAP-DA) program is a special Medicaid program that helps provide home and community services to adults with disabilities who are facing nursing home placement but would prefer to remain in their private residence. This program is administered by New Hanover Regional Medical Center. To learn more call 910-667-8504.





(910) 253-2077
open mon-fri:
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please do not email reports of abuse or neglect.
If you need to make a CPS or APS report, please call 910-253-2077 during business hours.  After Hours call 911 and ask to speak to the on call social worker.

News & Events

Get the latest updates and happenings on events throughout the county.

Latest News

Read More Social Services News

Latest Events

See Event Calendar