Welcome to Brunswick County Environmental Health! Our services focus on educating and protecting the health and well-being of the citizens and tourists that enjoy the lifestyle of this area. This is accomplished by taking an active leadership role in assessing and reducing environmental concerns, preventing the spread of disease, and promoting personal safety.
The primary functions of our department include:
- Issuing on-site wastewater (septic) system permits
- Issuing well permits
- Monitoring and enforcing drinking water quality for well water
- Plan review, inspections and permitting, as required, for: food service establishments, public swimming pools, childcare centers, school buildings, tattoo establishments, lodging establishments, bed and breakfast homes, bed and breakfast inns, hospitals, nursing homes, summer camps, local confinement facilities and residential care facilities.
The Health and Human Services Advisory Board meets on the fourth Monday of the month at 6:30 pm in the Health Services Boardroom. This Board does not hold meetings in May and December.
How are we doing? Complete our Brunswick County Environmental Health Customer Satisfaction Survey. Your input matters!
- Do you manage or enforce air quality issues?
Brunswick County Environmental Health does not manage or enforce air quality issues.
The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), Division of Air Quality (DAQ), oversees all matters related to air quality.
- Do you manage or enforce water quality issues?
Brunswick County Environmental Health does not manage or enforce water quality issues. However, Environmental Health does test household drinking water from private wells.
The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), Division of Water Resources, oversees all matters related to water quality.
- Do you manage stray animals, wild animals, or household pests?
Brunswick County Environmental Health does not manage stray animals, wild animals, or household pests.
Brunswick County Sheriff's Office Animal Protective Services (APS) picks up stray or unwanted domestic animals and livestock, and investigates animal cruelty and animal bite reports.