Other Assistance

Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT)

Medicaid is required to assure transportation to medical appointments for all eligible individuals who need and request assistance with transportation. Transportation will be available if the recipient receives a Medicaid-covered service provided by a qualified Medicaid provider (enrolled as an NC Medicaid provider). Medicaid only pays for the least expensive means suitable to the recipient's needs.

Transportation to and from providers is a critical component for a Medicaid beneficiary to obtain necessary health care. Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) services consist of arranging and/or paying for transportation. When the beneficiary has access to a suitable mode of transportation, but lacks the means to use it, the county must assist with the means through mile reimbursement. When the beneficiary lacks both means and mode, the county is responsible for arranging transportation at a cost within allowable Medicaid regulations. However, the obligation to provide transportation is not without qualifications.

How to Apply

Individuals can apply in person at Social Services (Annex Building) for NEMT or can request that an application be mailed to them by calling 910-253-2124 or 910-253-2118 and ask to speak to Medicaid Transportation caseworker.

Once approved for NEMT services, all trips must be called in and approved prior to the appointment. In-county trips shall be called in 3 business days prior and out-of-county trips shall be called in at least 5 business days prior to the appointment. NEMT recipients can call 910-253-2247 to schedule and receive approval for the trip.

Child Care Assistance

The Child Care Subsidy program uses state and federal funds to provide subsidized child care services to eligible families. Parents are free to choose a child care arrangement that best fits their needs as long as the provider chosen participates in the Subsidized Child Care Program. Funding is limited. For more information, please call 910-253-2077 or applications are taken in person at the Social Services office; no appointment is necessary.

You may be eligible to receive child care assistance if:

  • You are currently employed
  • You are in school or in a job training program
  • Your child is receiving child protective services
  • Your child needs care to support child welfare services or if your family is experiencing a crisis
  • Your child has developmental needs

Work First Family Assistance

Work First Family Assistance helps parents or guardians support themselves and their families by offering short-term training, job support and monthly cash payment to families. Program participants may also be eligible for Medicaid, Food and Nutrition Services, subsidized childcare and benefit diversion program (one-time financial assistance payment). Applications are taken in person at the Social Services office; no appointment is necessary. View more information.

Services to the Blind

Services to the Blind offers services and assistance to individuals who meet financial and visual eligibility requirements. Recipients do not have to receive public assistance. Services include payment of eye exams, prescription glasses, and eye-related surgery costs, and equipment for the visually impaired, including talking books and audio cassette players. For more information on Services to the Blind or to apply, contact the Services to the Blind worker directly at 910-253-2127.