Fats, Oils & Grease


The F.O.G. Program is an educational outreach to inform the public on the proper disposal of fats, oils, and grease (F.O.G.). It is important to wipe pans out and place grease in the trash, rather than rinse it down drains.

The sewer systems are not equipped to handle the strain that fats, oils, and grease put on them. Grease will congeal and harden in the lines and create blockages. As a result, once the lines get completely blocked, they will burst or overflow from the pressure. Blockages and spills can harm the environment and cost a lot of money to repair.

Do your part! Don't feed the Grease Goblin. The Grease Goblin causes sewers to overflow. Follow these tips to fight against your drain's worst enemy:

Put oil and grease in collection containers.Don't pour oil and grease down drains.
Remove oil and grease from kitchen utensils, equipment, and food preparation areas with scrapers/towels/brooms.Don't wash fryers/griddles, pots/ pans, and plates with water until oil and grease are removed.
Keep grease out of wash water.Don't use hot water to rinse grease off surfaces.
Place food scraps in collection containers.Don't put food scraps down drains.
Visit the Brunswick County Utility Billing office for a free can topper.
Don't use chemical drain openers for a clogged drain.

We All Lose When Grease Is Poured down the Drain

Overflowing Wastewater

What can I do to help?

  1. Never flush disposable wipes down the toilet, even if they are advertised as flushable.
  2. Never put grease down the sink, in the toilet, or down a floor drain.
  3. Always scrape pots, pans, and dishes clean in the trash can before washing them in the sink or placing them in dishwasher.

Free Grease Storage Topper

Stop by our Utility Billing office for a convenient, free can top for grease storage and disposal!

Grease Storage Topper

Contact Information

Brunswick County

For questions or more information about the F.O.G. Program, email Brian Blanton, Brunswick County's Pretreatment Coordinator, or call 910-253-2841.

North Carolina

For general questions about the environment, regulations, and other topics, contact NC Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service or call 877-623-6748.

Additional Resources