When can I apply for a refund of vehicle property taxes paid?

An owner can apply for a refund of taxes paid when a motor vehicle is sold or registered out of state. The refund will be calculated on any full calendar months remaining in the registration period after the license plate is surrendered to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles. Any municipal vehicle tax assessed in accordance with NC General Statute 20-97 is not subject to proration or refund. Within one year of surrendering the license plates, the owner must present the following to the county tax office: (1) Proof of plate surrender to NCDMV (DMV Form FS20); and (2) Copy of the Bill of Sale or the new state’s registration.

Show All Answers

1. When is my vehicle tax due?
2. Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not pay my property tax?
3. Am I paying vehicle property taxes for the coming year or for the preceding year?
4. What if I lease my vehicle? Do I need to pay my property taxes to the leasing company?
5. Is interest charged on late payments?
6. How will I know the amount of vehicle property tax that I owe?
7. How can I obtain a statement of the property taxes I paid?
8. Will I receive a tax refund if I transfer my license plate to another vehicle during the year?
9. When can I apply for a refund of vehicle property taxes paid?
10. Will I have to pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?