Will I have to pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?

Active duty non-resident military personnel may be exempt from North Carolina motor vehicle property tax. To qualify for an exemption, you must present a copy of your Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) to the county tax office. The statement should be for the month and year in which you register the vehicle and must include your Estimated Time of Separation (ETS) date and a home of record other than North Carolina. Military spouses may also qualify for exemption if their home of record is the same as the service member's. In addition to providing a copy of the LES as described above, spouses must provide a copy of their military I.D. card and a copy of their out-of-state driver's license, voter registration card or most current state tax return.

Show All Answers

1. When is my vehicle tax due?
2. Can I renew my vehicle registration if I do not pay my property tax?
3. Am I paying vehicle property taxes for the coming year or for the preceding year?
4. What if I lease my vehicle? Do I need to pay my property taxes to the leasing company?
5. Is interest charged on late payments?
6. How will I know the amount of vehicle property tax that I owe?
7. How can I obtain a statement of the property taxes I paid?
8. Will I receive a tax refund if I transfer my license plate to another vehicle during the year?
9. When can I apply for a refund of vehicle property taxes paid?
10. Will I have to pay vehicle property tax if I am active duty military?