Agenda preview for Brunswick County Board of Commissioners’ Monday, Nov. 16 regular meeting
BOLIVIA, N.C. – The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners will meet for its regular meeting Monday, Nov. 16 at 6 p.m.
During the meeting, the Board will discuss naming the Brunswick County Courthouse in honor of the late Superior Court Judge Ola M. Lewis. Additionally, Health and Human Services will provide an update on the latest status and planning efforts staff are taking concerning COVID-19.
Three public hearings are also slated on the agenda (see full details below under Section VII. Public Hearing). Individuals wishing to speak during a public hearing should sign up before the meeting starts on the form at the door dedicated to public hearings. This form is separate from the form used to sign up for public comments at the beginning of the meeting.
Speakers wishing to distribute any related documents, printed comments or materials to the commissioners should deliver at least eight copies to the county clerk at least fifteen minutes before the meeting starts.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Brunswick County has limited seating in the commissioners’ chambers to allow for proper social distancing (approximately six feet between one another) and no more than 50 people are allowed in the chambers at one time.
Individuals are encouraged to follow the three Ws as the NCDHHS recommends when attending the meeting and visiting any public place. Disposable face coverings are available for meeting attendees:
- Wear a cloth face covering when in public (Make sure both your nose and mouth are fully covered and you are able to breathe normally while wearing it)
- Wait six feet apart to avoid close contact and maintain appropriate social distancing between yourself and others
- Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer while also following other best hygiene practices
Below are a few selected items from the agenda that the Board of Commissioners will discuss and take possible action on during the regular meeting. Residents can view an online and PDF version of the full agenda and accompanying reports at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/agendas/
- Presentation – Health and Human Services – COVID-19 Update: Request that the Board of Commissioners receive an update on the coronavirus (COVID-19).
VII. Public Hearing
- GIS – Street Adoptions: Request that the Board of Commissioners approve the second reading and adoption of the proposed street names:
To From Township Crack Bush Trl NW None Waccamaw Dorset Ct SW None Shallotte Ernest And Margie Ln NW None Waccamaw Finchley St NE None Town Creek Grassy Meadow
None Northwest Gum Tree Ct SE None Lockwood Folly Lennon Lakes Dr SE None Lockwood Folly Murre Ct SE None Lockwood Folly Pietizel Ct SE None Lockwood Folly Piney Hollow Ct NE None Northwest Pleasant Hollow
None Lockwood Folly Royce Rabon Trl SE None Town Creek Suzie Ln SE None Lockwood Folly Timber Hills Dr NE None Northwest Tree Bark Ct SE None Lockwood Folly
- Planning – Dutch Street Road Closing: Request that, after the public hearing, the Board of Commissioners consider the public road closure of Dutch Street SE located off Southport-Supply Rd (NC 211) near Southport.
- Planning – UDO Text Amendment for Model Homes, Real Estate Sales Centers, and Neighborhood Sales Homes: Request that, after the public hearing, the Board of Commissioners consider text amendments to the Brunswick County Unified Development Ordinance related to Model Homes, Real Estate Sales Centers, and Neighborhood Sales Homes.
VIII. Administrative Report
- Administration – Discussion on Naming the Courthouse: Request that the Board of Commissioners discuss naming the Courthouse in honor of the late Ola M. Lewis, Superior Court Judge.
Each regular meeting has a public comment period when anyone can address the commissioners with questions or concerns about county business. Sign in before the meeting starts inside the commissioners’ chambers to ensure the county clerk has your information. The sign-up period opens an hour before the meeting begins.
Additionally, some meetings have public hearings for specific issues. The public hearings are similar to a public comment period but pertain to one topic.
The commissioners’ chambers are on the first floor of the David R. Sandifer Administration Building at 30 Government Center Drive in Bolivia (28422).
More information on the public comment policies is at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/board-commissioners/public-comment-policy/
More information about the Board of Commissioners meetings is at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/board-commissioners/faq/
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email email@example.com
- Individuals can sign up to receive email updates about Board of Commissioners meetings and more via our Sunshine List. Subscribe at http://brunswickcountync.gov/info/email/
- Follow Brunswick County on social media: https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/info/social/
County Contact Information & Virtual Services During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Brunswick County is urging individuals to visit our website and to call or email county departments for assistance first before visiting county offices. The County now requires appointments for in-person visits.
Not sure who to contact? Call our main line and we can help direct your calls.
- Main County Contact Information: 910.253.2000 / 800.442.7033