Here’s what you missed at the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners’ June 15 meeting
BOLIVIA, N.C. – The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners adopted the Fiscal Year 2020-2021 budget during their regular meeting Monday, June 15 at 6 p.m.
The adopted FY21 budget includes no ad valorem tax rate change from the current 48.50 cents. The FY21 budget for all funds totals $265,485,277, which represents an increase of 0.9 percent over the current FY20 budget adopted June 17, 2019. The FY21 budget will go into effect July 1, 2020. A copy of the recommended FY21 budget and more is available on the County’s website.
Additionally, the commissioners unanimously moved to accept the conveyance of the Town of Navassa’s utility system during the meeting. The County will assume ownership and operational responsibility of the Town’s water and sewer system on July 1, 2020.
The Board of Commissioners will review and make a motion to accept the official minutes from the June 15 meeting at a later meeting. Once approved, the county clerk will post them online at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/agendas/
Below is a quick recap of the actions taken on a few selected items during the regular meeting at 3 p.m. Residents can view an online and PDF version of the full agenda and accompanying reports at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/agendas/
III. Adjustments/Approval of Agenda
- The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved to consider the FY21 fire fees schedule as a separate agenda item for discussion and possible action. This item was incorporated into Administrative Report item No. 3.
- Presentation – Brunswick Community College: The Board of Commissioner received a resolution of appreciation from the Brunswick Community College Board of Trustees.
- Presentation – Emergency Services: Coastline Rescue Franchise Hearing: The Board of Commissioners held a hearing on the franchise application submitted by Coastline Rescue Squad. The Board has 30 days to consider the franchise application and will discuss and take possible action on the application during its July 6 regular meeting.
VII. Public Hearing
- Administration – Public Hearing to Receive Comments on the FY 2020-2021 Brunswick County Budget, Fees, and Capital Improvement Plan: The Board of Commissioners held a public hearing on the Manager’s FY 2020-2021 Recommended Budget, Proposed Fees and Five Year Capital Improvement Plan.
VIII. Administrative Report
- Administration – Brunswick County Water and Sewer Utility Assistance Program: The Board of Commissions unanimously approved the Brunswick County Low to Moderate Income Water and Sewer Utility Assistance Program for Brunswick County Public Utilities residential retail water and sewer customers. The County’s Social Services department will assist Public Utilities in administering the applications and the program will become effective for approved applicants with the County’s August 2020 utility billing.
- Administration – Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Budget Ordinance and Capital Improvement Plan: The Board of Commissioners unanimously adopted the Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Budget Ordinance and Five-Year Capital Improvement Plan.
- Administration – Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Fire Fees Schedule: The Board of Commissioners voted 4-1 to adopt the Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Schedule of Fire Fees as presented. Commissioner Pat Sykes voted no.
- Planning – Joint Planning and Parks & Recreation Project: The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a service agreement with McGill Associates, P.A. for the development a community vision and two new plan documents – the Comprehensive Land Use Plan and the Parks and Recreation Comprehensive Master Plan.
- Utilities – Town of Navassa Water and Sewer Systems Conveyance Agreement Draft: The Board of Commissioners unanimously accepted the conveyance of the utility system from the Town of Navassa, authorized the Chairman to execute the Water and Sewer Service Agreement with the Town of Navassa and any additional documents necessary for conveyance subject to County Attorney approval and approved the associated budget amendment. The County will assume ownership and operational responsibility of the Navassa Water and Sewer System on July 1, 2020.
IX. Board Appointments
- Governing Body – Annual Board Appointments: The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved the annual board appointments as presented, effective July 1, 2020, to include appointing Mr. Ron Medlin to the Zoning Board of Adjustment District 2 seat, with a term expiration of June 30, 2023, and appointing Ms. Virginia Ward to the Zoning Board of Adjustment Alternate seat, with an unexpired term expiration of June 30, 2021.
XI. Closed Session
- Closed Session: The Board held a closed session pursuant to G.S. 143-318.11(a)(1), (3), and (6) to approve closed session minutes, to consult with its attorney, and to consider the performance of an individual public officer or employee. No action was reported by the County Attorney upon calling the meeting back to order after the Closed Session.
The next regular Board of Commissioners meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 6 at 3 p.m.
To view the full agenda items and accompanying reports, go to https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/ agendas/
More information about the Board of Commissioners meetings is at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/board-commissioners/faq/
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Individuals can sign up to receive email updates about Board of Commissioners meetings and more via our Sunshine List. Subscribe at http://brunswickcountync.gov/info/email/
- Follow Brunswick County on social media: https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/info/social/
County Contact Information & Virtual Services During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Brunswick County is urging individuals to visit our website and to call or email county departments for assistance first before visiting county offices. The County now requires appointments for in-person visits.
Not sure who to contact? Call our main line and we can help direct your calls.
- Main County Contact Information: 910.253.2000 / 800.442.7033