Brunswick County Health Services identifies cases of COVID-19 in congregate living facility (Brunswick Health and Rehab Center)
BOLIVIA, N.C. – Brunswick County Health Services has identified two individuals at a congregate living community in the county who recently received positive test results for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Two facility residents at Brunswick Health and Rehab Center recently received positive test results and are currently hospitalized. All facility residents and employees have been tested at this time with results still pending.
Health Services team members are working with the Brunswick Health and Rehab Center’s management team to provide guidance and examine the facility’s infection control processes. The facility has already contacted all employees and family members of residents about this situation.
In accordance with requirements from the NCDHHS, all employees have worn face masks while at work and facility residents also have personal protective equipment (PPE).
No further information concerning the facility’s employees or residents will be shared. Health Services will provide another update should it identify additional positive cases at the facility.
People can take simple actions each day to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, particularly through asymptomatic spread. Everyone is urged to follow the three Ws when visiting any public area to best protect one another from the spread of the virus. These efforts work best when they are all practiced together by as many people as possible:
- Wear a cloth face covering when in public (Make sure both your nose and mouth are fully covered and you are able to breathe normally while wearing it.)
- Wait six feet apart to avoid close contact and maintain appropriate social distancing between yourself and others
- Wash your hands often or use hand sanitizer while also following other best hygiene practices
The NCDHHS defines an outbreak at a congregate care living facility as being two or more people—including residents or employees—who receive a positive test for the virus within a 28-day period. The NCDHHS reports on outbreaks in congregate living facilities statewide on its COVID-19 dashboard at https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/congregate-living-settings
As of July 10, there are 751 positive cases of COVID-19 among county residents (354 considered recovered, 377 isolating at 304 households, 12 hospitalized, 8 deaths) and 14 cases among non-residents (1 isolating in county, 8 considered recovered, 3 transferred monitoring to home county, 2 deaths).
Brunswick County updates its case counts on its website daily and recently launched its COVID-19 Dashboard to report data concerning resident cases. Find the latest information on case counts (including demographic data) on our Latest Information on Coronavirus webpage.
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Residents can find the latest information from the County concerning COVID-19 at http://brunswickcountync.gov/news
- Individuals can also follow the County’s social media and sign up for emails on emergency updates at http://brunswickcountync.gov/info/email/
Local and State Public Health Call Lines
- Brunswick County Public Health Call Line and Email (Available Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.): 910.253.2339 / email@example.com
- NC Public Health Call Line (Open 24/7): 866.462.3821
- North Carolina 2-1-1 Program: For COVID-19 questions, dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162 / Sign up for updates by texting COVIDNC to 898211
- Community Care of North Carolina’s COVID-19 Triage Plus (Available 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily): 1.877.490.6642
- Information on free mental health call lines
County Contact Information & Virtual Services During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Brunswick County is urging individuals to visit our website and to call or email county departments for assistance first before visiting county offices. The County now requires appointments for in-person visits. Not sure who to contact? Call our main line and we can help direct your calls.
- Main County Contact Information: 910.253.2000 / 800.442.7033