Brunswick County urges residents to follow social distancing best practices, use phone, online options for interaction when available (March 16, 2020 Coronavirus Update)
- As of March 15, there is one positive case of novel coronavirus in Brunswick County; this individual has been under self-isolation since March 11 and is receiving regular check-ins from the County’s Public Health team
- The County developed a dedicated webpage for countywide offers of assistance at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/emergency/covid-19-community-assistance/
- The County encourages residents to follow social distancing protocols and to seek communication options like phone, email, and other online resources to limit exposure to others
- Remember to seek the most verified information from sources like the CDC, NC DHHS and the County regarding novel coronavirus and the associated level of risk involved
BOLIVIA, N.C. – Brunswick County continues to monitor the novel coronavirus situation in our area and provide guidance and support to our community and municipal partners in response to the pandemic.
As of March 16, there is one presumptive positive case of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Brunswick County. Brunswick County considers and responds to presumptive positive cases as if they were positive, even while awaiting official confirmation of results from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Brunswick County developed a dedicated webpage for countywide offers of assistance, updates from utility providers, food bank notices, and more in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic. The COVID-19 Community Assistance page is at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/emergency/covid-19-community-assistance/
Brunswick County also held another conference call with our community partners, including representatives from county leadership, Health and Human Services, Emergency Services, municipal representatives, local hospitals, Brunswick County Schools, and the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office. The County is also continuing to operate a joint information center with a Public Health Call Line and email to answer residents’ coronavirus questions.
Brunswick County Public Health Call Line and Email Information
- Phone: 1.910.253.2339
- Email: email@example.com
Individuals who have questions afterhours are encouraged to call the North Carolina Public Health Call Line, which has public health professionals available 24 hours a day every day to answer questions: 1.866.462.3821.
As we continue to respond to the novel coronavirus pandemic, Brunswick County is urging and reminding residents to follow social distancing protocols and seek communication options including phone, email, and other online resources to limit exposure to others and protect yourself as best as possible.
Social distancing means the avoidance of crowded places and maintaining distances of at least six feet from other people to try to deter the spread of the virus. The State of North Carolina has already implemented some mandated social distancing measures, including the ban of mass gatherings of 100 people or more and the minimum two-week closure of all K-12 public schools.
Even if individuals feel healthy and are not exhibiting symptoms, it is important that everyone follow these measures to better protect all our fellow residents, especially for those who have a high risk for severe illness, including those 65 years or older, those with underlying health conditions including heart disease, lung disease, or diabetes, or those with weakened immune systems.
Understanding Your Risk
We recognize that the novel coronavirus is a stressful and concerning situation for our residents. During situations like these, it is important to seek out the most up-to-date and accurate information about the virus from the CDC, the NC Department of Health and Human Services (NC DHHS) and Brunswick County to prevent the spread of rumors or misconceptions about the virus.
The County takes the novel coronavirus seriously and has prepared for its potential impacts for the past two months. We encourage our residents to remain calm and to remember that people who have confirmed COVID-19 and are in isolation, and people who may have been exposed to COVID-19 and are self-monitoring, are doing the right thing and helping to protect their communities.
If you believe you might have come into contact with someone who was diagnosed with coronavirus, here is how you can determine your risk for contracting the virus:
- No Risk: Briefly walking by a person who tested positive for COVID-19 and was not experiencing symptoms
- Low Risk: Being in the same room as a person who tested positive for COVID-19, had symptoms and you were within six feet
- Medium Risk: Sustained close contact (10 minutes or longer) within six feet of a person with COVID-19 while they had symptoms
- High Risk: Close household contact with a person who tested positive for COVID-19
According to the CDC, individuals at high risk of becoming ill from coronavirus include older adults and individuals with serious chronic or long-term medical conditions.
At this time, novel coronavirus is currently not widespread in Brunswick County and is still considered a low risk.
This is an evolving situation and the County’s leadership and Health and Human Services team are monitoring it day by day and maintaining regular communications with our local and state partners to provide residents with the most current information.
Brunswick County Phone and Online Resources
Brunswick County offers some in-person services in online formats or over the phone. You are encouraged to reach out to us to see if there are opportunities to assist you with your county-related needs over the next few weeks. A few links and contact information to some of our departments that often have in-person visitors are below. Please reach out us to see how we might be able to assist you in virtual means.
Main County Phone: 800.442.7033 / https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/
- Pay your water and sewer bill online at https://brunswick.authoritypay.com/
- How to pay your capital recover fees, tap and meter fees online: https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/utilities/utility-billing/pay-fees/
- Contact Information: 910.253.2657, option 2 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Code Administration is operating on normal schedules for field inspections and processing of permit applications. We encourage you to use the webpage for submitting applications and corresponding with CP tech by phone: https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/code-administration/permits/
- Any changes to our processes will be posted by 4 p.m. for future business day operations at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/code-administration/
- Contact Information: 910.253.2021 / email@example.com
- Contact Information: 910.253.2150 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Information: 910.253.2250 / 888.428.4429 / email@example.com
Register of Deeds
- Record searches and vital records certified copy requests are available online at http://brunswick-live.inttek.net/
- Electronic recording is available through Internet Technologies, Inc. at https://erecording.inttek.net
- Contact Information: 253.2690 / Toll-free: 877.625.9310 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Information: 910.253.2077 / email@example.com
- Please do not email reports of abuse or neglect.
- If you need to make a CPS or APS report, please call 910.253.2077 during business hours. After Hours call 9-1-1 and ask to speak to the on call social worker.
- Property record cards and collections information: https://tax.brunsco.net/itsnet/
- Contact Information: 910.253.2829 / 800.527.9001 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Information: 910.253.2233
Updates from Our Partners in Response to Coronavirus
- Brunswick County Schools
- North Carolina Courts
- Brunswick Community College
- Novant Health
- Novant Health hospitals limit visitation further
- Online coronavirus assessment tool found at org/coronavirus
- 24/7 helpline for patients are experiencing symptoms and have questions on how to best seek care: 877-499-1697 or 877-9NOVANT
- Dosher Memorial Hospital
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email email@example.com