Frequently Asked Questions


Column 1 CTA


Column 2 CTA

Contact Us

Column 3 CTA


Column 4 CTA

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is the County Manager?

The County Manager is Steve Stone.

Where is your office located?

The County Manager’s office is located on the third floor of the David R. Sandifer Administration Building at the Brunswick County Government Center in Bolivia. The physical address is 30 Government Center Drive NE, Bolivia, NC 28422.

How do I contact your office?

You may contact the County Manager’s office by mail (P.O. Box 249, Bolivia, NC 28422), by telephone (910-253-2000 or 1-800-442-7033), by fax (910-253-2022), or by email (

When is your office open?

Our normal office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except for holidays.

When is County Government closed for holidays?

Brunswick County observes New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving (two days) and Christmas (three days). View this year’s holiday calendar.

Do you have any job openings?

Our  job openings are viewable online. You can also sign up to receive email notifications when new jobs are posted.

When do the Commissioners meet and how do I add an item to the agenda?

The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners’ current meeting schedule is available online. Anyone can speak during the public comment period of an agenda with questions or concerns about county business. If you would like to place an item on the agenda, it should be sent to the Clerk’s Office in advance. View more information about speaking during a meeting.

What is the best way to communicate with the Commissioners?

You can call the Clerk to the Board at 910-253-2017, or you can email the County.

If I'm interested in serving on a board or committee, what process do I follow?

Brunswick County has many county boards and committees, that help with conducting county business. If you are interested in serving on a board or committee, you can complete an application for appointment.

How can I find the department or agency I need that provides a particular service?

You can view a list of all county departments and offices, with links to their website pages including location and contact information. If you are not sure which department or office you need, you can look under “Visitors,” “Residents” or “Business” in the menu at the top to find information arranged by category. Administration also serves as a referral source for citizens, businesses, organizations, and other governmental agencies. Office personnel can direct individuals to the proper department or agency; call 910-253-2000 or 1-800-442-7033.

I have a complaint regarding a county department and an employee. What should I do?

The County Manager’s office responds to complaints regarding services provided by county departments and will assist in the resolution of problems by working with the appropriate department. You may contact the County Manager’s Office at 910-253-2016 or by email at You may also submit a request for information or assistance, or suggest an improvement to county facilities, procedures and policies, using the electronic form.

What ordinances do we have in Brunswick County?

Copies of county ordinances are available for inspection in the Clerk to the Board of Commissioners office.

What is the population of Brunswick County?

The 2015 population for Brunswick County, North Carolina is 122,765, according the Census figures.

What is the current tax rate?
I need an attorney, but can't afford one. Can the County Attorney help me or can you recommend someone?

In North Carolina, the County Attorneys provide legal advice and assistance to the Board of Commissioners and County staff. They do not serve as public defenders or provide legal advice or assistance to members of the public. If you are seeking an attorney, you may contact Legal Services of the Lower Cape Fear at 910-763-6207 or 1-800-672-9304.

How do I contact the District Attorney's Office or the Clerk of Court's Office?

The District Attorney’s Office may be reached by calling 910-253-3910. The Clerk of Court’s Office may be reached by calling 910-253-3900.

Who do I contact about Jury Duty?

Information regarding Jury Duty may be obtained by calling the Clerk of Court’s Office at 910-253-3900.

Who do I contact about my court date?

You can view the court calendars or call the Clerk of Court’s Office at 910-253-3900.

Who should I contact for replacement of a road sign?

To report a green road sign in a non-municipal area that needs to be repaired or replaced, please contact Joel Willis, Sign Shop Technician, at 910-253-2528 or online. For the repair or replacement or state road signs, contact the North Carolina Department of Transportation at 910-754-6527.

Who should I contact about road maintenance?

Roads in Brunswick County are classified as either state roads, municipal roads or private roads. There are no county roads. The North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) paves and maintains all state roads. Contact the NCDOT at 910-754-6527 for more information related to state-maintained roads. Private roads are the responsibility of the owner/developer or property owners.

My road is not a state road. How do I get my road maintained or paved?

Private roads are the responsibility of the owner/developer or property owners. To petition the NCDOT to take over the maintenance or pave a private road, the property owners along the road would have to petition the NDCOT to add it to the state’s system. To obtain a petition and instructions for submission, contact the Clerk to the Board of Commissioners at 910-253-2018.

Who should I contact about obtaining a business license?

Brunswick County does not require a business license to operate in the unincorporated areas of the county. However, the state of North Carolina and individual municipalities may require some type of license or permit, and you must check with them to find out any regulations or requirements they may have.

Who should I contact about Public Housing?

Questions about Section 8 Housing should be directed to the Public Housing Office at 910-253-2222.

When are the solid waste convenience centers and the landfill open?
  • You can view hours and locations for the Solid Waste Convenience Sites, Recycling Centers, and the C&D Landfill.
How can I found out my garbage collection day?

To find out your pickup day, call Waste Industries at 910-253-4177.

I am new the area. How do I obtain a garbage can for roadside pickup?

Contact the Solid Waste & Recycling Office at 910-253-2520 or 1-888-445-2502 to set up residential garbage collection. To sign up for residential recycling collection, contact Waste Industries at 910-253-4177.

How do I register to vote?

You can obtain a voter registration form online or at many county-wide locations, or by contacting the Board of Elections office at 910-253-2620 or 1-800-822-5986.

How can I obtain a building permit?

Visit the Central Permitting Data website or call the Building Inspections office at 910-253-2050.

Where do I obtain a marriage license?

Marriage licenses are issued by the Register of Deeds Office. For more information, call 910-253-2690 or 1-877-625-9310.

Where can I get a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate?

You can obtain a certified or uncertified copy of a vital record filed in Brunswick County in person or by mail at the Register of Deeds Office. There is a fee for the copies.

To obtain a vital record of a person of another county, or to order a copy of a North Carolina birth (1913 – present), marriage (1962- present) or death (1930 – present) record on file, contact the North Carolina Vital Records Section.

Where can I get a passport?

Passport applications are accepted in the Register of Deeds Office. For more information, call 910-253-2690 or 1-877-625-9310.

How can I get on your bidder's list?

The county does not have a bidder’s list. All advertisements for bids are listed on our website or advertised in the local newspapers (Brunswick Beacon, State Port Pilot or Wilmington Star News). You can also sign up to receive email notifications when new bid advertisements are listed on the county website.

Is there a Social Security office located at the Government Center in Bolivia?

No. The closest Social Security Administration office is located at 1528 South 16th Street in Wilmington, NC. You may contact that office by calling 1-866-964-6227 or 1-910-815-4733.




(910) 253-2016
open mon-fri:
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

News & Events

Get the latest updates and happenings on events throughout the county.

Latest News

Read More County Manager’s Office News

Latest Events