Any registered voter in Brunswick County may vote by absentee ballot. There are three steps to voting by absentee ballot:
- Request your ballot
- Vote your ballot
- Return your ballot
REQUEST YOUR BALLOT.
There are two ways to request your ballot:
- Complete and sign a State Absentee Request Form. Instructions are included with the form. Note: Only the voter, the voter’s near relative or legal guardian, or a member of a multipartisan assistance team may request a ballot for that voter.
- Online through the Absentee Ballot Request Portal.
SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST. If you are not using the online portal, submit your State Absentee Request Form by mail or in person. The deadline to submit a request for the November 2, 2021 municipal election is 5 pm Tuesday, October 26, 2021.
Mailing Address (for USPS): Brunswick County Board of Elections, PO Box 2, Bolivia, NC, 28422
Delivery Address (for hand delivery and other delivery services such as FedEx and UPS): 75 Stamp Act Dr NE, Building H, Bolivia, NC, 28422
VOTE YOUR BALLOT
COMPLETE YOUR BALLOT. Complete your absentee ballot in the presence of two witnesses OR a notary and insert the ballot into the return envelope.
A witness should not observe so closely that they are able to see what votes the voter marked. What is required is that the witness sees that the voter is voting the ballot.
COMPLETE AND SIGN THE ABSENTEE BALLOT RETURN ENVELOPE. Sign the outside of the ballot return envelope. Have your witnesses complete and sign the witness certification. Be sure the witnesses provides their printed name, complete address, and signature. If you receive assistance marking or mailing the ballot, the assistant must fill out the voter assistant certification.
RETURN YOUR BALLOT
RETURN YOUR BALLOT TO YOUR COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS. Only the voter or the voter’s near relative or legal guardian may possess the absentee ballot to return it to the board of elections.
In 2021, there are a few ways to return your absentee ballot:
- By mail (return envelope is provided with ballot), postmarked on or before Election Day, and received by 5 pm by Friday, November 5, 2021.
- By commercial courier service (DHL, FedEx, or UPS) – must be delivered to our physical address.
- In person at your county board of elections office (Building H) by 5 pm Election Day (November 2, 2021).
- In person at an open early voting site.
October 1, 2021 – Absentee ballots begin being mailed
October 26, 2021 – Last day to request absentee ballots
November 2, 2021 5 pm – Hand delivered absentee ballots due at the Board of Elections Office (Building H)
November 5, 2021 – Mailed absentee ballots due at the Board of Elections office (must be postmarked on or before election day, November 2)
Military and Overseas Voters
There are certain processes and opportunities available to uniformed (military) and U.S. citizens residing overseas (whether temporarily or indefinitely) which facilitate their ability to more quickly request, receive, and return absentee ballots. If you, or someone you know, would qualify as a uniformed or overseas voter and you would like to vote, it is to your advantage to look into these opportunities.
Please visit either of the following websites:
- NCSBOE Military and Overseas Voting
- The Overseas Vote Foundation
- The Federal Voting Assistance Program
Absentee Voting Frequently Asked Questions
- We have posted many FAQs on our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Additionally, we will be releasing videos to explain certain processes and those will be posted here as they are released.