Candidate Filing Information
Soil & Water Candidate Filing – Monday, June 8, 2020 at noon through Thursday, July 2, 2020 at noon
Candidate List for the general election, as of 8/19/2020
Older Candidate Lists
Final Candidate Filing List for the 2020 Primary, as of 12/23/19
Candidate Filing List from last day of filing – 12/20/19
What should a candidate expect when filing for office?
- A Board of Elections staff member will work with each candidate to verify eligibility to file (must be a registered voter of the jurisdiction in which they wish to seek office and at least 21 years of age). For partisan primaries, one must be registered with a recognized party 90 days prior to the date of candidate filing.
- Filing paperwork will be completed and signed to be notarized (photo ID will be required for notarization).
- The Filing fees should be paid in the form of a check or money order. Business or corporate checks and credit cards not accepted. Filing fees $50 or less may be paid in cash; exact change required.
- Candidates will be provided a filing packet containing campaign finance paperwork to open a political committee.
A candidate committee is required to register within ten days of taking the first among certain activities that are deemed to have begun the committee’s organization. The first of the following activities by the candidate starts the ten days:
1. Receiving money or an item of any value in support of the campaign; or
2. Spending money in support of the campaign; or
3. Filing a Notice of Candidacy or being certified as a political party nominee.
All reports filed with the Brunswick County Board of Elections are available for public viewing on our Campaign Finance page.
Campaign reports filed with the state are available on their website.
If you need personal assistance with your Campaign Finance reports, please schedule an appointment to ensure your needs are met in a timely manner, as well as to confirm the appropriate staff member will be available to assist you. Without an appointment, we cannot guarantee immediate service. To make an appointment please call our office or email Adrianne Rushton.
The complete library of campaign finance forms can be found on the state’s website at the following location:
Information for Candidates
- General Information on Campaign Finance
- Campaign Finance FAQ
- 2020 Candidate’s Guide
- Candidate’s Guide to Campaign Finance in North Carolina
- SEI Newsletter (WHO has to file? Candidates for Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, State Auditor, State Treasurer, Agriculture Commissioner, Insurance Commissioner, Labor Commissioner, Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Legislature (House of Representatives and Senate), Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, Superior Court, District Court, District Attorney and Clerk of Court.)
- Campaign Finance Manual
- Principal Occupation Guidance
- Permitted Use of Campaign Funds
- Regulations on Political Signs
- Littering Statutes
- Distributing Pre-Marked Sample Ballots and Electioneering at the Polling place
- Absentee and Voter Registration Information
- Reporting Schedules can be found here.
If you have questions, please call the Brunswick County Board of Elections office (910) 253-2620.