The Governor’s Volunteer Service Award
The awards program was created by the Office of the Governor in 1979, recognizes North Carolina’s most dedicated volunteers. Through the years, the award has been bestowed on thousands of North Carolinians who have shown concern and compassion for their neighbors by volunteering in their local community.
Currently, the program is administered by the NC Commission on Volunteerism and Community Service and the Office of Governor Roy Cooper. Only ten volunteers nominated from the County can win the award. One of the volunteers recommended by the County receives a recommendation to be a candidate for the Governor’s Medallion Award; the top 20 volunteers in the State will be bestowed this honor.
2020 Brunswick County Awards Announced
The Brunswick County Non-Profit & Volunteer Coordinator has been informed that the following residents have received the 2020 Governor’s Volunteer Service Award (in no particular order):
- James McAdams – Belville Elementary School (Brunswick County’s nominee for the Governor’s Medallion Award)
- Arlett Aleshire & Lauren Gore – Brunswick County 4-H Club Leaders
- Ann Hollingsworth – Dosher Memorial Hospital Volunteers
- Dosher Memorial Hospital Volunteers
- Eunice Diehl – Brunswick Senior Resources, Inc.
- John Bodie – Brunswick Senior Resources, Inc.
- Nick Micale – Lower Cape Fear Life Care
- Sherry Ross – Brunswick Senior Resources, Inc.
- Sacred Heart Volunteers for W.A.R.M
- Roy “Red” Martin – Southport Fire Department
CONGRATULATIONS to all the winners!
THANK YOU to everyone in Brunswick County who volunteers their time and talents; you are all appreciated!
Want to nominate a volunteer?
Volunteer nominees are accepted by the Governor’s Office through an official process and made by a Designated Coordinator. If you/your organization would like to nominate a volunteer for the 2021 Governor’s Volunteer Service Award CLICK HERE to access the online nomination form and/or a downloadable form. Nominations submitted online will be received by the Governor’s Office who will forward nominees to our local Designated Coordinator for review and consideration for official nomination. Please contact Leslie Stanley, Non-Profit & Volunteer Coordinator for Brunswick County/Designated Coordinator, for more information at 910-253-2589 or firstname.lastname@example.org.