Know Your Flood Hazard
Coastal Flood Zones
Brunswick County consists of several flood zones. Flood Zone X and Shaded X are considered to be a low risk for flooding and are not regulated by ordinance at this time. The following flood zones have mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements and floodplain management standards apply:
- VE zones or Coastal High Hazard Areas are zones where high velocity wave action accompanies the storm surge and can cause severe damage to buildings.
- Coastal A Zone (NEW): area landward of a V-Zone, or landward of an open coast without mapped V-Zones. In a Coastal A Zone, the principal source of flooding will be astronomical tides, storm surges, seiches or tsunamis, not riverine flooding.
- AE zones are areas affected by storm surge but where wave action is diminished or absent.
- Flood Zone A are areas subject to inundation by the 1-percent-annual-chance flood event.
Because detailed hydraulic analyses have not been performed, no Base Flood Elevations (BFEs) or flood depths are shown.
- Before buying, you should be aware of other factors that accompany the pleasures of owning property in Brunswick County.
- To determine your flood risk, visit Flood.NC.gov or call (910) 253-2046 Know Your Risks.
- To determine your flood zone, visit Brunswick County GIS.
- For information from FEMA’s Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) and floodplain management questions, contact the Floodplain Administrator at (910) 253-2046.
- Use the NC FRIS Map Service Center or search FEMA maps to find your official flood map.
- For a copy of FEMA Elevation Certificates that are on file contact the Floodplain Administrator at (910) 253-2046.