Application period for Brunswick County Water and Sewer Customer Utility Assistance Program opens Monday, June 22
Brunswick County Public Utilities residential water and/or sewer customers who meet eligibility requirements are encouraged to apply as soon as possible
BOLIVIA, N.C. – Brunswick County Public Utilities residential water and/or sewer customers who apply and meet certain eligibility requirements could receive a monthly credit for their county utility service through a new assistance program the Board of Commissioners recently approved.
The Brunswick County Water and Sewer Customer Utility Assistance Program is available to Brunswick County Public Utilities residential water and/or sewer customers whose gross annual income is equal to or less than 130 percent of the federal poverty level for the household size (see table below), with assets less than $110,000, and the household’s total available on-hand cash resources must be less than $2,200.
The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved the new program as part of its adopted Fiscal Year 2021 budget at the June 15 meeting.
For Fiscal Year 2021, which begins July 1, 2020, the monthly available credit is $8 per month for Brunswick County residential water customers, $15 per month for Brunswick County residential sewer customers, and $23 per month for Brunswick County residential customers who have both water and sewer service from Brunswick County.
The Brunswick County Department of Social Services is administering the program. The application period begins Monday, June 22 and will run through Friday, July 17, 2020 unless funds are exhausted prior to July 17. Individuals are highly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The monthly credit may not be larger than the actual customer bill for the month.
The Brunswick County Water and Sewer Assistance Program will require Brunswick County residential utility customers to make annual applications that will provide assistance through a fiscal year. Brunswick County residential utility customers must reapply annually. Applications for the Fiscal Year 2021 program will be available in various locations throughout the county and online at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/social-services/utilityassistance/
- Brunswick County Library Branches: All library branches are closed to the public at this time but are available to pick up an application. Call the library branch to arrange for a pick up time.
- Harper Library, Southport: 910.457.6237
- Barbee Library, Oak Island: 910.278.4283
- Leland Library, Leland: 910.371.9442
- Rourk Library, Shallotte: 910.754.6578
- Southwest Brunswick Library, Carolina Shores: 910.575.0173
Applicants will receive a notice from Social Services if they are approved or denied for the Fiscal Year 2021 program. For qualifying applicants, the credit will be made available beginning with services billed in August 2020 and ending with services billed June 2021.
Individuals with questions about the program and application process should contact Social Services:
- Phone: 910.253.2211
- Email: email@example.com
How to Apply
Applicants will need to submit their completed application along with the following documents:
- Proof of income – annual household income cannot exceed 130% of federal poverty level (see table below)
- Copy of Brunswick County Utility Bill (Navassa customers who are transitioning to Brunswick County Public Utilities can submit their most recent bill from the Town of Navassa)
- Verification of the value of assets and resources
- Real property value cannot exceed $110,000 (Department of Social Services will verify this information)
Applications along with required documents can be mailed, faxed, dropped off or emailed to the Department of Social Services:
- Mailing address: PO BOX 219, Bolivia, NC 28422
- Fax: 910-253-2071
- Physical Address: 60 Government Center Drive, Building B, Bolivia, NC 28422
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must provide: all income for the household and its members; checking and savings account statements for all members of the household; all property, stocks, bonds and other assets for all members of the household; the name and date of birth for each member of the household; and a copy of the current Brunswick County Public Utilities water and/or sewer bill (Navassa customers who are transitioning to Brunswick County Public Utilities can submit their most recent bill from the Town of Navassa), with the applicant’s name, address and account number. Applications will be taken June 22 through July 17, 2020.
|Eligibility Requirement||What's Needed||How Often|
|Address||Lease, rental agreement, any other shelter expenses, contact with someone knowledgeable of your situation||At application or situation, if moving|
|Earned Income: Wages/Self-Employment||Wage stubs, tax forms contacting employer||At application|
|Unearned Income: Public Benefits/Private Retirement Benefits/Trust, etc.||Documents from provider, award letter||At application|
|Assets/Resources||Ownership and tax records - bank and court documents||At application|
|Water of Sewer Expense||Copy of Brunswick County utility bills (or most recent Town of Navassa utility bills)||At application|
2019-2020 Federal Poverty Guidelines
|Household Size||100% Federal Poverty Level Annual Gross Income||130% Federal Poverty Level Annual Gross Income|
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email email@example.com
- Residents can find the latest information from the County concerning COVID-19 at http://brunswickcountync.gov/news
- Individuals can also follow the County’s social media and sign up for emails on emergency updates at http://brunswickcountync.gov/info/email/
County Contact Information & Virtual Services During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Brunswick County is urging individuals to visit our website and to call or email county departments for assistance first before visiting county offices. The County now requires appointments for in-person visits. Not sure who to contact? Call our main line and we can help direct your calls.
- Main County Contact Information: 910.253.2000 / 800.442.7033