Brunswick County Diabetes Education Program
Diabetes Education Resources
Our Diabetes Education Program will help you:
- Improve your hemoglobin A1C, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
- Have fewer or less severe diabetes complications.
- Save money on health care costs.
- Reduce the need for emergency care.
- Stay on track with your treatment plan and prescriptions.
- Learn practical tips like how to use diabetes devices, eat healthy, be active, and solve problems.
- Get the support you need from your family, friends, community, and health care team.
- Handle the emotional side of diabetes.
- Ask your doctor to complete this Referral Form for Diabetes Self-Management Education to get personalized help managing your diabetes.
Does my insurance cover DSME?
Insurance coverage of DSMES varies, but many plans cover diabetes education. Medicare covers up to 10 hours of DSMES if you’ve been diagnosed in the past year. After the first year, your coverage may change. Note that Medicare refers to DSMES as diabetes self-management training (DSMT). Contact your insurance provider for more information about your benefits.
Living With Diabetes
If you or a loved one has diabetes, visit Living With Diabetes to learn about eating well, getting active, and more.
Health Care Provider Resources
Why Refer Patients to DSMES Services?
- Improve hemoglobin A1C.
- Prevent or delay diabetes complications.
- Increase the likelihood of patients seeking out preventive health care.
- Reduce acute care and hospitalizations.
- Improve healthy coping, self-efficacy, and quality of life.
When and How to refer?
Referring patients to DSMES can also help you meet follow-up care guidelines. Your patients will work with a certified diabetes care and education specialist. This licensed health care professional will provide training, counseling, and follow-up activities for your patients that support your plan of care.
Please complete this referral form.