Here’s what you missed at the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners’ May 18 meeting
Commissioners unanimously pass Brunswick County’s CARES Act funding plan, extend awards for two crucial bids for the Northwest Water Treatment Plant expansion and upgrades project
BOLIVIA, N.C. – The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners met for their regular meeting Monday, May 18 at 6 p.m. During this meeting, the commissioners discussed and took actions on agenda items related to the proposed FY21 county budget, the County’s CARES Act funding plan for future COVID-19-related expenses, and two crucial bids for the Northwest Water Treatment Plant expansion and upgrades project, including the installation of a low-pressure reverse osmosis system to remove PFAS contaminants like GenX from water sourced from the Cape Fear River.
The Board of Commissioners will review and make a motion to accept the official minutes from the May 18 meeting at a later meeting. Once approved, the county clerk will post them online at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/agendas/
Here’s a quick recap of the actions taken on a few selected items from the agenda.
VI. Administrative Report
- Administration – County Distribution of Coronavirus Relief Funds: The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved and authorized the County Manager to make an application for the CARES Act Funds and designate approximately $2,000,000 to be used for County-eligible projects directly related to COVID-19 and the remainder in the approximate amount of $573,728 be made available to municipal governments in the County which have eligible projects. As part of this action, the Board also authorized the County Manager to review and approve the projects municipalities submit to ensure full compliance with the State and Federal guidelines of the Coronavirus Relief Act so as to meet the June 1 deadline for submission of the required plan. The Board also requested that the County Manager research to determine if volunteer fire departments are eligible to submit projects for this funding.
- Administration – Funding Request from WAVE Transit: The Board of Commissioners unanimously moved to deny the funding request from Cape Fear Public Transportation Authority (WAVE Transit) to support the Brunswick Connector Route for FY21. The Board authorized the County Manager to investigate and suggest any alternatives the Board could consider related to this request at a later date if necessary.
- Administration – Recommended Budget Ordinance, Capital Improvement Plan, Schedule of Fees for FY 2021: The Board of Commissioners received the Recommended Budget Ordinance, Capital Improvement Plan, Schedule of Fees for FY 2020, and unanimously approved a motion to schedule a public hearing on the matters for June 15, 2020 at 6 p.m.
- Administration – Resolution for the Issuance of $47,550,000 General Obligation Bonds: The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved the Bond Resolution Providing for the Issuance of not to exceed $47,550,000 General Obligation School Bonds, Series 2020.
- Code Administration – Expedited Property Purchase (FEMA HMGP 4393DR): The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved the purchase of 7398 Ruby Stone Court, Leland, NC 28451 for the amount of $226,000.00 and 7394 Ruby Stone Court, Leland, NC 28451 for the amount of $229,000.00 with the funding from the Hazard Mitigation Grant-Expedited Property Acquisition 4393-DR award funding and convert the locations into greenspace. This motion also approved County Manager Randell Woodruff to sign all documents related to the property purchase.
- Utilities – Northwest WTP Expansion and Upgrades, Notice of Award, Contract Oscar Renda Contracting, and Associated Budget Amendment: The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a budget amendment, Notice of Award, and authorized the Chairman and Clerk to the Board to execute the construction contract with Oscar Renda Contracting, Inc., for the construction of the Northwest Water Treatment Plant Expansion and Upgrades Project contingent on the County Attorney’s review and approval of the construction contract, performance bond, payment bond, NC E-Verify Affidavit of Compliance, insurance certificates and funding approval by the Local Government Commission (LGC). Staff recommended award of the project in the amount of $122,600,000.
- Utilities – Northwest WTP Concentrate Discharge Pipeline, Notice of Award, Contract T. A Loving Company, and Associated Budget Amendment: The Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a budget amendment, Notice of Award, and authorized the Chairman and Clerk to the Board to execute the construction contract with T. A. Loving Company for the construction of the Northwest Water Treatment Plant Concentrate Discharge Pipeline contingent on the County Attorney’s review and approval of the construction contract, performance bond, payment bond, NC E-Verify Affidavit of Compliance, insurance certificates and funding approval by the Local Government Commission (LGC). Staff recommended award of the project in the amount of $6,595,000.
VII. Other Business/Informal Discussion
- Commissioner Pat Sykes made a motion to write a letter to Governor Roy Cooper requesting counties be allowed to make individual decisions concerning the remaining reopening efforts and guidelines in their jurisdiction related to COVID-19. The motion was not seconded. The commissioners discussed the possibility of presenting the topic to the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners (NCACC) for discussion and consideration at that level.
- Chairman Frank Williams made a request to staff to make clearer differentiation for pandemics and hurricanes for any future state of emergency declarations and to review the County’s ordinances for any necessary adjustments or adoptions related to this distinction for review at a future legislative goals conference.
The next regular Board of Commissioners meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 1 at 3 p.m. An FY21 budget workshop with the commissioners is also scheduled for Monday, June 1 at 1 p.m.
To view the full agenda items and accompanying reports, go to https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/ agendas/
More information about the Board of Commissioners meetings is at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/board-commissioners/faq/
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email email@example.com
- Individuals can sign up to receive email updates about Board of Commissioners meetings and more via our Sunshine List. Subscribe at http://brunswickcountync.gov/info/email/
- Follow Brunswick County on social media: https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/info/social/
County Contact Information & Virtual Services During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Brunswick County is urging individuals to visit our website and to call or email county departments for assistance first before visiting county offices. The County now requires appointments for in-person visits.
Not sure who to contact? Call our main line and we can help direct your calls.
- Main County Contact Information: 910.253.2000 / 800.442.7033