Here’s what you missed at the Brunswick County Board of Commissioners’ Nov. 4 meeting
BOLIVIA, N.C. – The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners met for their regular meeting this past Monday, Nov. 4 at 3 p.m. Here’s a quick recap of the actions taken on a few selected items from the agenda.
The Board of Commissioners will review and make a motion to accept the official minutes from the Nov. 4 meeting at a later meeting. Once approved, the county clerk will post them online at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/agendas/
Note: Commissioner Marty Cooke was absent due to illness.
- 1. Auditor’s Report on the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2019: The Board of Commissioners received the report from Martin Starnes and Associates, CPAs, P.A., regarding the auditors’ opinion of the comprehensive annual financial report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2019. The auditor noted that the report includes an unmodified, clean opinion with no disagreements between the auditor’s management or the County’s Finance team. The auditor recognized the Finance team’s assistance and excellent preparations for the audit. The County implemented a new recording standard on the debt section of financial statements in the most recent report. Next year the County will implement new recording standards for fiduciary activities and will implement new standards for accounting for leases in the following year. Oversight efforts for federal and state grant funding remain unchanged.
- 2. Census Proclamation and Complete Count: The Board of Commissioners received a presentation on the importance of the 2020 Census and a census complete count committee from the U.S. Census Bureau and approved a proclamation regarding partnership with the U.S. Census Bureau with a 4-0 vote. Each commissioner will recommend two individuals from their respective districts for membership to the complete count committee.
- Individuals or groups interested in learning more about Brunswick County’s 2020 Census efforts can visit https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/census/
- 4. Proclamation Designating Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week: The Board of Commissioners received a presentation from the Brunswick County Homeless Coalition and approved a proclamation designating Nov. 16-24 as National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week in Brunswick County with a 4-0 vote.
VII. Administrative Report
- 3. Operation Services – New Transfer Station: The Board of Commissioners approved the proposal from Dewberry Engineers Inc. for the design and construction management of a new transfer station with a 4-0 vote.
- 4. Utilities – Brunswick Regional Water and Sewer H2GO Water Tank Lease Agreement: The Board of Commissioners approved finalizing and executing a nonrevenue lease agreement with Brunswick Regional Water and Sewer H2GO to place communications equipment on and around Brunswick County’s water tower located near the intersection of Enterprise Drive and Highway 74 with a 4-0 vote.
- 5. Utilities – Carolina Shores Main Pump Station Repair Project Construction Contract R. H. Moore Co. Inc.: The Board of Commissioners approved and authorized the chairman and clerk to the board to execute the construction contract with R.H. Moore Company Inc. for the construction of the Carolina Shores main pump station repair project contingent on the county attorney’s review and approval of the construction contract with a 4-0 vote.
- 6. Utilities – Northwest Water and Sewer Service Agreement and Resolutions: The Board of Commissioners resolved to accept the conveyance of the utility system from the City of Northwest, authorized the chairman to execute a water and sewer service agreement with the City of Northwest and any additional documents necessary for conveyance, and authorized the county attorney to make minor contract amendments with a 4-0 vote. The County will assume ownership and operational responsibility of the Northwest water and sewer system on or before Jan. 1, 2020.
The next regular Board of Commissioners meeting is scheduled for Monday, Nov. 18 at 6 p.m.
To view the full agenda items and accompanying reports, go to https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/ agendas/
More information about the Board of Commissioners meetings is at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/board-commissioners/faq/
For media inquiries, contact the Public Information Officer at 910.253.2995 or email email@example.com