INVITATION TO BID
Brunswick County is issuing this Request for Proposals (“RFP”) for Disaster Response Emergency/On-Call Construction Services. Services may include, but are not limited to, excavation and repair of pressure and gravity lines, handling and disposing of asbestos cement pipe, removal and/or repair of prestressed concrete cylinder pipe, traffic control, operation of heavy equipment, water services, sewer services, sewer grinder installation, and horizontal directional drilling. Additional detail regarding the Scope of Services is more fully set forth herein and in the Form of Proposal, Work Tasks 1, 2 and 3, attached hereto and incorporated herein by reference.
It is the intent of Brunswick County to enter into one (1) or more Single Prime contracts based on the bid totals for each distinctive Work Task.
Any contract that is awarded shall be for an initial period of two (2) years commencing with the Notice of Award, with an option to extend for an additional one (1) year period. The initial amount of each contract that is activated for a specific Work Task shall not exceed a total of Two Hundred Fifty Thousand and No/100 Dollars ($250,000.00). In the event completion of a specific Work Task will exceed $250,000.00, the total amount of the contract may be increased by mutual written agreement of the parties. Work under a contract shall be assigned on an as-needed basis to be determined by Brunswick County in its sole and absolute discretion. Contract award does not authorize notice to proceed. Should a contract be activated, Brunswick County will issue a formal Notice to Proceed. No work is guaranteed under any contract.
II.Scope of Work
Services may include, but are not necessarily limited to, those set forth below and in the attached Form of Proposal, Work Tasks 1, 2 and 3:
- Excavation and repair of pressure and gravity lines at varying depths from zero (0) to twenty (20) feet. Contractor shall provide all crew and equipment necessary to repair the pressure and gravity lines.
- Handling and/or disposing of asbestos cement pipe. All individuals working on asbestos cement pipe shall be fully certified and trained to work on, handle, and dispose of asbestos cement pipe.
- Traffic control, including but not limited to, lane closures, intersection closures, road closures, variable message board utilization and light tower utilization. Contractor shall provide all signs, cones, barricades, and other related or required traffic control devices, vehicles, trailers, etc. to meet the NCDOT standards of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (“MUTCD”). Contractor is responsible for traffic control planning and approval by any jurisdictional regulating agency. Contractor is responsible for delivery of all materials to the work site, fuel or power maintenance requirements, transportation, set up and demobilization.
- Removal and/or repair of 48-inch prestressed concrete cylinder pipe (“PCCP”). Contractor shall remove and replace 48-inch PCCP raw water main with new 48-inch ductile iron pipe (“DIP”) along with joints, fittings, and thrust collars. Brunswick County will supply all thrust collars.
- Water services. Contractor shall perform services in connection with short side and long side water service and tap installation and/or repair. Brunswick County will supply all meters.
- Sewer services, including sewer grinder pump station installation. Installation of Residential Simplex Grinder Pump Stations and Residential High Head Simplex Grinder Pump Stations, including connection to the force main, by open trench or bore methods, including valves/valve boxes, and up to 200’ of piping. Brunswick County will supply all Residential Simplex Grinder Pump Stations and Residential High Head Simplex Grinder Pump Stations.
- Horizontal Directional Drill services for C900 pipe. Contractor shall field verify all directional drill lengths as required for complete installation. Contractor shall also be responsible for all clearing, trenching and excavation work (including all rock excavation), disposal of excess materials, temporary shoring and bracing, dewatering, furnishing and installing all pipe, jointing materials, joint restraints, pipe embedment, final backfill, pipe collars, concrete anchors, thrust blocking, warning tape, and tracer wire.
- Removal and disposal of all excavated materials.
Brunswick County reserves the right to develop specific Scopes of Work for individual projects utilizing a Task Order under any contract.
III. Proposal Submittal Requirements
Sealed proposals will be received until 3:00 p.m. on March 12, 2020, in the Brunswick County Public Utilities Operations Center located at 250 Grey Water Road NE, Supply, NC 28462. Proposals must be clearly marked: “Disaster Response Emergency/On-Call Construction and/or Repair Services.” The name, address and North Carolina license number of the bidder shall be clearly marked on the sealed envelope. Brunswick County will not be responsible for the failure of any mail or delivery service to deliver a proposal. Regardless of the manner of submission, proposals received after the aforementioned date and time or bids not submitted at the correct location or in the designated manner will not be accepted. Sealed bids will be opened publicly and read aloud.
IV. Pre-Bid Meeting
A mandatory open pre-bid meeting will be held for all interested bidders and vendors on February 13, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. at the Brunswick County Public Utilities Operations Center located at 250 Grey Water Road NE, Supply, NC 28462. Directions are as follows: From Wilmington follow US 17 toward Supply. Turn right onto Hwy. 211 heading toward Bolton. Turn right onto Grey Water Road in approximately one mile (beside athletic park). Utilities Operations Center is on right.
V.Site Visitation: N/A
Copies of the bid documents can be downloaded at https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/bid/.
Copies of all Brunswick County standard specifications and details may be reviewed at: http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/engineering/design-manual/
Brunswick County reserves the unqualified right to reject any and all proposals. A 5% bid bond or deposit is required.
Brunswick County has implemented a Minority Business Enterprise Policy that requires Contractors to exhibit a good-faith effort to contact minority business subcontractors whose work on the project would represent 10% of the total value of the work.
All Contractors must be properly licensed. Additional instructions to bidders are included herein.
Brunswick County reserves the right to request financial information for any bidder, in order to support the viability of the bidder.
Brunswick County will not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by the bidder in submitting a proposal or for any other activities associated therewith, except for the reimbursement of bonds as more fully set forth in the Notice to Bidders. Further, Brunswick County reserves the right to cancel the work described herein prior to issuance and acceptance of any contractual agreement even if the Board of Commissioners has formally accepted the recommendation.
Any changes to the specifications or Scope of Work or clarifications to the bidding documents will be made in the form of an Addendum to this Request for Proposal and will be supplied to all prospective bidders.
If a contract is to be awarded, it will be awarded to the lowest responsible, responsive bidder for each Work Task, taking into consideration quality, performance and the time specified in the proposals for the performance of the contract. Contract award does not guarantee contract activation. Contractor will not be authorized to proceed with any work until the contract is activated with a Notice to Proceed issued by Brunswick County, the timing of which shall be determined by Brunswick County in its sole and absolute discretion.