To be eligible to receive a library card, you must present one of the following forms of identification:
- A valid North Carolina driver’s license (see N.C. General Statute § 20-7) or valid North Carolina identification card with current Brunswick County address.
- A deed or tax receipt for property in Brunswick County, plus proof of permanent address. (If applicant does not have documentation available, library staff can verify with a phone call to the tax office.)
- Proof of employment in Brunswick County, plus proof of permanent address.
- Medicaid card showing current Brunswick county address.
Children 5 years old and older may get a library card with a parent’s signature and identification. The signature and identification of a parent or legal guardian is necessary for young people (ages 5 – 17) who do not have a valid North Carolina identification card.
Temporary Library Card
Seasonal or part-time residents of Brunswick County may obtain a library card by:
- Showing proof of permanent address,
- Showing proof of local address, and
- Paying a user fee of $25.
A temporary library card is valid for 12 months and may be used to borrow (at one time):
- Unlimited paperbacks (uncataloged), plus
- 3 cataloged books
- 1 audiobook or DVD
The library cannot lend materials to people visiting for less than one month, but everyone is welcome to enjoy the resources within the library buildings, including books, magazines, newspapers, computers with internet access, reference services, and children’s programs.
Items for Checkout
Library cardholders in good standing may borrow from any library branch:
- Books (21-day period; 7-day period for high-demand titles)
- DVDs (2-day period)
- Audiobooks (Books on cassette and books on CD, 14-day period)
- Music CDs (7-day period)
All items may be renewed ONCE. Call any of the five library branches to renew by phone.