Everyone who lives, works, goes to school, or owns property in Brunswick County is eligible for a free library card with proper identification. This can include any of the following:
- – Government-issued driver’s license or ID
- – Military, tribal, or other photo ID
- – Passport
- – School or work photo ID
- – If the ID does not show the current address, additional proof of address is needed: utility bill, lease agreement, tax document, Medicaid card, voter registration, etc. Digital versions or paper copies are both acceptable.
Children between the ages of 5 and 17 years may obtain a library card with a parent or legal guardian’s identification.
Temporary Library Card
Non-residents of Brunswick County who do not hold any of the above forms of identification may still obtain a library card by:
- – Showing proof of permanent address,
- – Paying a user fee of $25.
A temporary library card is valid for 12 months and may be used to borrow (at one time):
- – Unlimited paperbacks (uncataloged), plus
- – 3 cataloged books
- – 1 audiobook or DVD
The library cannot lend materials to people just visiting, but everyone is welcome to enjoy the resources within the library buildings, including books, magazines, newspapers, computers with internet access, reference services, and children’s programs.
Items for Checkout
Library cardholders in good standing may borrow from any library branch:
- Books (21-day period; 7-day period for high-demand titles)
- DVDs (7-day period)
- Audiobooks (Books on cassette and books on CD, 14-day period)
- Music CDs (7-day period)
All items may be renewed ONCE. Call any of the five library branches to renew by phone.