Brunswick County now accepting applications for the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program
BOLIVIA, N.C. – Brunswick County is now accepting applications for LIHWAP, a water/wastewater assistance program, from all eligible applicants.
The LIHWAP, or Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program, is a federally funded program that provides emergency assistance to low-income households to prevent disconnection or provide assistance with reconnection of drinking and wastewater services.
LIHWAP assistance will be made available to households based on a priority group system. To lessen the hardship on those households that have already lost water services or are in jeopardy of losing water services, groups 1 and 2 will be served first. If funds are available, group 3 will be served after groups 1 and 2 are completed. The classification of groups are as follows:
- Group 1 consists of households that have had water services disconnected.
- Group 2 consists of households that are in jeopardy of water services being disconnected, unless action is taken to prevent the disconnect.
- Group 3 consists of households that have current water services bills and need assistance to maintain service.
Beginning Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2021, households that have had water services disconnected or that are in jeopardy of water services being disconnected, unless action is taken to prevent the disconnection may apply online or download a paper copy of the application through the ePASS portal at epass.nc.gov.
Individuals can submit a paper application through mail, email fax or dropping it off at their local DSS, but they do not have to go into the agency to apply. Brunswick County Social Services details are below.
- Mail: PO BOX 219, Bolivia 28422
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 910- 253-2071
Brunswick County residents can also contact Brunswick County Social Services apply. All household applications will be accepted from Dec. 1 or until funds are exhausted.
Applicants must include a copy of the current water source bill, with the applicant’s name, address, and account number.
Households will be categorically eligible if they:
- Are currently receiving Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) benefits, or
- Are currently receiving Work First benefits, or
- Received Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) within the last 12 months
If the household is not categorically eligible, income must be equal to or less than 150% of the current poverty level. Countable income includes but is not limited to Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), wages, tips, self-employment, and contributions.
For more information on the program and eligibility, visit ncdhhs.gov/divisions/social-services/energy-assistance/low-income-household-water-assistance-program-lihwap
For media inquiries, contact the Communications Director at 910.253.2995 or email email@example.com