North Carolina Department of Insurance
Do you have questions about insurance?
Call the North Carolina Department of Insurance toll-free at 855-408-1212 if you have questions about any kind of insurance. The Department of Insurance has trained experts who can answer questions about health, life, Medicare, homeowners, auto, disability, long-term care, dental, vision and other types of insurance coverage.
Download the mobile MY DOi app
- Visit this website with your device: https://my.ncdoi.com/home
How NCDOI can help you
- Understand your insurance policy.
- File a complaint or appeal with your insurance company.
- Identify enrollment opportunities for health insurance coverage.
- Locate a lost life insurance policy.
- Find contact information for an insurance company.
- Report suspected insurance fraud.
- Check the license status of an insurance agent or company.
In addition to regulating the insurance industry, the N.C. Department of Insurance houses the Office of State Fire Marshal. Under state law, the Insurance Commissioner serves as State Fire Marshal. From training fire and rescue personnel, to helping improve building codes, to awarding grants to fire and rescue departments for equipment, OSFM plays a vital role in protecting lives and property in North Carolina.
Among its duties, the North Carolina Department of Insurance:
- Regulates the insurance industry
- Handles insurance-related complaints
- Licenses insurance agents, adjusters and bail bondsmen
- Provides specialized counseling to people eligible for Medicare
- Houses the Office of State Fire Marshal
- Interprets and works to improve state building codes
- Trains firefighters and rescue personnel
- Inspects fire departments
- Oversees motor clubs and collection agencies
- Investigates insurance fraud
- Licenses building code and home inspectors
- Licenses manufactured building professionals
- Educates the public about fire safety and injury prevention