Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV)
HUD establishes income limits for all areas of the country and publishes them annually in the Federal Register. They are based upon estimates of median family income with adjustments for family size. The income limits are used to determine eligibility for the program and for income targeting purposes.
To be eligible for the voucher program, the applicant family must (24 CFR 982.210(b):
- Qualify as a family as defined by HUD and the PHA.
- Have income at or below the HUD-specified income limits.
- Qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status of family members.
- Provide birth certificates and verification of social security numbers for all members of the household.
- Consent to the PHA’s collection and use of family information as provided for by signed PHA provided consent forms.