Obligations of the Family

When the family's unit is approved and the HAP contract is executed, the family must follow the rules listed on this page in order to continue participating in the Housing Choice Voucher program.

The Family Must

  • Supply any information that the PHA or HUD determines to be necessary, including evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status, and information for use in a regularly-scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition
  • Disclose and verify Social Security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information
  • Supply any information requested by the PHA to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit
  • Promptly notify the PHA in writing when the family is away from the unit for an extended period of time in accordance with PHA policies
  • Notify the PHA and the owner in writing before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease
  • Allow the PHA to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice
  • Use the assisted unit for the residence by the family The unit must be the family's only residence
  • Promptly notify the PHA in writing of the birth, adoption or court-awarded custody of a child
  • Request written PHA approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit
  • Promptly notify the PHA in writing if any family member no longer lives in the unit
  • Give the PHA a copy of any owner eviction notice
  • Pay utility bills and provide and maintain any appliances that the owner is not required to provide under the lease

Any information the family supplies must be true and complete.

The Family (Including Each Family Member) Must Not

  • Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the owner of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space)
  • Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease
  • Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program
  • Engage in drug-related criminal activity or violent criminal activity or other criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises
  • Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit
  • Receive housing choice voucher program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy, for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program
  • Damage the unit