Adult Services

Brunswick County Social Services offers programs and assistance to help adults, whether in their own home or in a facility. Report a concern of abuse or neglect involving an adult.

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) are provided to disabled adults, 18 years of age or older who are alleged to be abused, neglected, or exploited and in need of protection. APS Social Workers receive reports, evaluates the need for protection, and provides intervention when needed. To report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a disabled adult call 910-253-2077 or 910-253-2415. To make reports on weekends, holidays, or after-hours call 911 or 910-253-7490 and ask to speak to the on-call social worker.

Adult Home Monitoring

The Adult Home Specialist (AHS) provides assistance, routine monitoring, and complaint investigations in Assisted Living Facilities operating in Brunswick County. Complaints on Assisted Living Facilities can be made to the Adult Home Specialist at 910-253-2166 or to the NC Division of Health Services Regulations at 800-624-3004.


Brunswick County Social Services provides guardianship services to adults who have been adjudicated incompetent and who do not have another person or corporation to serve as guardians. To learn more about guardianship services call 910-253-2123.

Special Assistance in-Home Program

The Special Assistance In-Home (SA-IH) program for adults provides cash assistance for low-income individuals who are at risk of entering a residential facility but are preferring to live at home. Social workers provide a comprehensive assessment and ongoing case management to adults eligible for this program. To learn more about SA-IH you can call 910-253-2197.

Adult Placement Services

Adult Placement services assist aging or disabled adults find substitute placement in residential care facilities when their health safety and well-being can no longer be maintained at home. Placement arrangements are made in adult care homes, nursing homes, or residential health care settings. Please call 910-253-2197 for additional information about this program.

Adult Day / Health Care

Limited funds are available to help with adult day/health care expenses for qualified individuals. Adult Day/Health Care facilities provide organized programs in a community group setting to promote social, physical, and emotional well-being. The Adult Day/Health Care programs in Brunswick County are licensed by the NC Division of Aging and Adult Services and monitored by the Department of Social Services. For additional information call 910-253-2197 or 910-253-2072.

Community Alternatives Program

The Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (CAP-DA) program is a special Medicaid program that helps provide home and community services to adults with disabilities who are facing nursing home placement but would prefer to remain in their private residences. This program is administered by New Hanover Regional Medical Center. To learn more call 910-667-8303 or 910-742-9440.